Hosting the conversation

Middle East Experience

Latest News

GCC: New Unified Military Command headquarters in Riyadh a ‘message of determination’

The Gulf Cooperation Council affirmed that its new headquarters of the Unified Military Command in the Saudi capital, Riyadh, sends “a message of determination to protect the achievements of the GCC states.”The defense ministers of the GCC countries held their eighteenth meeting on Monday at the headquarters of the General Secretariat in Riyadh, headed by Lieutenant-General Abdullah bin Hassan al-Nuaimi, Minister of Defense Affairs in the Kingdom of Bahrain and the head of the meeting.For the latest headlines, follow our Google News channel online or via the app.The Supreme Council of Leaders of the Gulf states, in its last session, had agreed to amend Article VI of the joint defense agreement by changing the name of the “Joint Peninsula Shield Forces” command to the “Unified Military Command of the Gulf Cooperation Council.”The Supreme Council also approved the decisions of the Joint Defense Council at its seventeenth session, regarding the areas of military integration among the GCC states and affirmed support for joint military integration efforts to achieve collective security for the GCC states.Read more:Senior US, GCC officials meet in Riyadh to discuss Iran’s ‘dangerous policies’Iran is leading state sponsor of terrorism, ISIS remains a threat to US: Official
Source: Al Arabiya
Full Article: GCC: New Unified Military Command headquarters in Riyadh a ‘message of determination’

Experts slam Bahrain's 'audacious' condemnation of Qatari human rights record – Doha News | Qatar

Manama’s disturbing human rights record has raised particular concerns among rights groups. Bahrain’s Football Association condemned Qatar’s “abuse and exploitation” of expats working in 2022 FIFA World Cup construction sites in a statement released on Sunday. The BFA pointed to reports issued by rights groups detailing abuses of migrant workers, namely Amnesty International’s latest ..
Source: Albawaba
Full Article: Experts slam Bahrain's 'audacious' condemnation of Qatari human rights record – Doha News | Qatar

Sudan frees several civilian leaders held since coup

Sudanese authorities have released several civilian leaders detained since last month’s coup, a key plank in a deal aimed to restore a fragile transition process towards full democracy, one said Monday.“I was released late yesterday evening,” the head of Sudan’s Congress Party Omar al-Degeir told AFP, who was among the civilians arrested in the October 25 power grab by the army.“I was in solitary confinement and completely cut off from the world throughout this period.”For the latest headlines, follow our Google News channel online or via the app.Other civilian politicians, including from the Umma party, Sudan’s largest political group, were also released.Top general Abdel Fattah al-Burhan last month declared a state of emergency and ousted the government, in a move that upended a two-year transition to civilian rule.It triggered a wave of mass street protests in which at least 41 people were killed, according to medical sources.But on Sunday, Prime Minister Abdalla Hamdok -- who had also been put under effective house arrest – was released.He and Burhan then formally signed a 14-point deal that provided for the premier’s reinstatement and for political detainees to be freed.However, analysts warn the move simply “whitewashes” the coup, as it remains unclear how much power Hamdok’s government will hold, and which will still be under oversight of a ruling council led by the military.Thousands of demonstrators in multiple rallies rejected the deal, shouting “No to military power” and demanding the armed forces fully withdraw from government.The deal was welcomed by the international community including the United Nations and African Union, as well as the so-called Troika of the Britain, Norway and the United States.It was also greeted by Saudi Arabia and Egypt, which has strong ties with the Sudanese military.The deal raises hopes the strife-torn northeast African country will be able to return to its fragile transition process, that started after the 2019 ouster of veteran autocratic president Omar al-Bashir.But Britain’s minister for Africa, Vicky Ford, said that while she was “pleased” at Hamdok’s return, she warned that the “military must deliver on their commitment to a genuine partnership with civilians.”Read more:UAE welcomes signing of agreement to complete transitional phase in SudanSudan’s Hamdok, Burhan sign political deal to restore transitionHundreds of anti-coup protesters rally in Sudan: SourcesSudan’s Hamdok on board with agreement with military: Source
Source: Al Arabiya
Full Article: Sudan frees several civilian leaders held since coup

Exclusive: Videos show Houthi militia using Sanaa airport as a military base

Al Arabiya has exclusively obtained videos showing the Iran-backed Houthi militia using Sanaa International Airport as a military base to conduct experiments and tests of air defense systems.The videos also showed how the Houthis have transformed the hangars of Sanaa International Airport into a base where missiles are manufactured under the supervision of foreign experts.For the latest headlines, follow our Google News channel online or via the app.Several experiments and tests by a number of Houthi militants on an air systems can be seen via the use of a UN aircraft during landing and take-off at Sanaa International Airport to ensure the system’s work and effectiveness, given that the plane is a moving air target in the airport’s airspace that simulates interception and destruction scenarios.
Source: Al Arabiya
Full Article: Exclusive: Videos show Houthi militia using Sanaa airport as a military base

Saudi tourism fund invests over $500 mln since last year: Statement

Saudi Arabia’s Tourism Development Fund said on Monday it had deployed 2 billion riyals ($533 million) on tourism projects worth a total of around 6 billion riyals from its establishment last year until the end of September this year.The remaining four billion riyals for the projects have come from the private sector, the fund said in a statement.For all the latest headlines, follow our Google News channel online or via the app.Founded in June 2020 with an initial $4 billion investment, the fund is part of Saudi plans to diversify the economy away from the oil sector.Read more: Officials inaugurate first ever international flight to Saudi Arabia’s AlUla
Source: Al Arabiya
Full Article: Saudi tourism fund invests over 0 mln since last year: Statement

US Secretary Blinken wishes Lebanon’s people well, not government officials

US Secretary of State Antony Blinken on Monday sent his greetings to the “people of Lebanon” on their Independence Day, stopping short of making any mention of the Lebanese government.Lebanese politicians and officials have been at the fore of domestic and international criticism since the country was thrown into an unprecedented socioeconomic crisis.For all the latest headlines, follow our Google News channel online or via the app.Nationwide anti-government protests broke out in 2019 as hundreds of thousands of Lebanese demonstrators took to the streets to demand the government's resignation.Despite then-Prime Minister Saad Hariri stepping down, the traditional ruling elite has put together consecutive governments with candidates backed by them.“On behalf of the United States of America, I extend my heartfelt best wishes to the people of Lebanon on their Independence Day,” Blinken said in a statement.“During these trying times, the United States will continue to stand by the people of Lebanon and support their hopes for a better future,” the top US diplomat said.He added: “The United States recognizes both the rich culture and perseverance of the Lebanese people, who have faced and overcome many challenges over the past 78 years.”Robert Danin, former Deputy Assistant Secretary of State and Quartet Jerusalem Mission Head, pointed out that Blinken did not mention the Lebanese government.“Noteworthy @StateDept Lebanon National Day statement that three times references the Lebanese people but pointedly omits any mention of its government or leaders,” he tweeted.Read more: Maintaining support for the LAF is crucial for Lebanon’s security
Source: Al Arabiya
Full Article: US Secretary Blinken wishes Lebanon’s people well, not government officials