Hosting the conversation

Middle East Experience

Latest News

Kuwait gives Lebanese charge d’affaires 48 hours to leave country

Kuwait on Saturday ordered Lebanon’s charge d’affaires to leave the country and recalled its ambassador from Beirut in protest over comments made by a Lebanese cabinet minister criticizing the Arab intervention in Yemen.For the latest headlines, follow our Google News channel online or via the app.The senior Lebanese diplomat was given 48 hours to leave Kuwait, the Gulf Arab state’s official news agency KUNA said, quoting a foreign ministry statement.Read more: Saudi Arabia expels Lebanese ambassador to Riyadh, recalls ambassador from BeirutBahrain asks Lebanese ambassador to leave the country within 48 hoursSaudi Arabia designates Lebanon’s Al-Qard al-Hassan terrorist entity, freezes assets
Source: Al Arabiya
Full Article: Kuwait gives Lebanese charge d’affaires 48 hours to leave country

Lebanese president Aoun says he wants best relations with Saudis

Lebanese President Michel Aoun said on Saturday he wants the best relations with Saudi Arabia after the kingdom summoned its ambassador, expelled Beirut’s envoy and banned Lebanese imports.Aoun’s statement in a tweet followed talks by a ministerial crisis management group aimed at easing a diplomatic rift that stemmed partly from comments by a Lebanese minister criticizing the Saudi-led military intervention in Yemen.For all the latest headlines follow our Google News channel online or via the app.The Lebanese presidency statement added that Aoun is keen on having the best relations with Saudi Arabia and on strengthening them by signing bilateral deals.The row over critical comments made by Lebanese Information Minister George Kordahi about the Arab Coalition military intervention in Yemen threw the government into a new crisis amid calls for Kordahi’s resignation.Kordahi had said that Yemen’s Iran-backed Houthis were defending themselves and described the years long war in Yemen as “futile.”Saudi Arabia has affirmed its keenness on the Lebanese citizens residing in the Kingdom, “whom it considers part of the fabric and bond that unites the Saudi people and their Arab brothers residing in the Kingdom,” according to the statement issued Friday.The ministry added that it did not consider that what was said by Kordahi reflected the positions of the Lebanese community residing in the Kingdom.Read more:Lebanon ministers hold crisis meeting over dispute with Saudi ArabiaGroup of former Lebanese PMs calls on Kordahi to resignArab League expresses concern over worsening Lebanese-Gulf relations: Statement
Source: Al Arabiya
Full Article: Lebanese president Aoun says he wants best relations with Saudis

Yasir al-Rumayyan tested positive for COVID-19, was unable to attend FII: Sources

Yasir al-Rumayyan tested positive for COVID-19 in the week leading to the start of the fifth edition of FII, Saudi Arabia’s annual investment forum, and thus was unable to attend, sources told Al Arabiya.FII was held between October 26 to 28 this year in the Kingdom’s capital Riyadh under the theme of ‘Invest in Humanity.’ The mega-event saw officials, business leaders, and dignitaries gather from across the world in discussion on how to build a sustainable future in a post-COVID-19 world.For the latest headlines, follow our Google News channel online or via the app.Al-Rumayyan, governor of the PIF and chairman of the FII Institute, was unable to attend after being tested positive, however, he had been feeling well, and was following quarantine and self isolation procedures, as well as being fully vaccinated, sources explained, and later tested negative in a recent test.Among the myriad of announcements from FII, a total of 44 multinational companies on Wednesday received licenses to move their regional headquarters to Saudi Arabia’s capital Riyadh, state news agency SPA reported at the time.“The licenses were issued at the fifth edition of the Future Investment Initiative, attended by the world’s most influential leaders in business and government,” SPA said.The Kingdom expects the companies to set up regional headquarters in the capital and move to Riyadh within a year, the President of the Royal Commission for Riyadh City, Fahd al-Rasheed, told Reuters.Read more:Saudi Arabia in talks with car manufacturers to set up facilities in the kingdomSaudi Arabia’s Green Initiative versus the Glasgow Climate Change ConferenceLucid CEO: Saudi Arabia is second-biggest market for car pre-ordersSaudi Arabia led efforts to put culture on the global map: Saudi official at FII
Source: Al Arabiya
Full Article: Yasir al-Rumayyan tested positive for COVID-19, was unable to attend FII: Sources