US Defence Secretary Lloyd Austin issued a pledge to allies in the Middle East to stop Iran from developing nuclear weapons as world powers prepare to return to negotiations in Vienna..
Source: Albawaba
Full Article: US defence chief vows to counter 'nuclear' Iran ahead of planned Vienna talks – Doha News | Qatar
Lewis Hamilton dominates pole at inaugural Qatar Grand Prix – Doha News | Qatar
Hamilton wins his 102nd pole, outracing his competitor Max Verstappen at the inaugural Qatar Grand Prix..
Source: Albawaba
Full Article: Lewis Hamilton dominates pole at inaugural Qatar Grand Prix – Doha News | Qatar
Qatar welcomes ILO report on work-related incidents amid calls for transparency – Doha News | Qatar
The International Labour Organization said its report gives the most accurate picture of workers’ conditions in the construction industry in Qatar..
Source: Albawaba
Full Article: Qatar welcomes ILO report on work-related incidents amid calls for transparency – Doha News | Qatar
US defense secretary reaffirms commitment to withdraw US combat troops from Iraq
The US will uphold its commitments to withdraw all troops with a combat role from Iraq by the end of the year, Secretary of Defense Lloyd Austin said on Monday.For the latest headlines, follow our Google News channel online or via the app.In a meeting with Iraqi Minister of Defense Jumah al-Jaburi on the sidelines of the annual Manama Dialogue summit in Bahrain, Austin reiterated the US’ support in the fight against ISIS.US involvement in Iraq will consist of sharing intelligence, advice, and assistance with the Iraqi security forces, he said.Austin also congratulated al-Jaburi on October’s election and condemned an attack on Iraq’s Prime Minister earlier this month.In a speech at the forum, Austin sought to reassure allies in the Middle East that the US remains committed to the region amid an increased focus on tensions with China.Gulf Arab states, heavily reliant on the US military umbrella, have expressed uncertainty about Biden’s focus on the region, especially after the US withdrawal from Afghanistan.“Let’s be clear: America’s commitment to security in the Middle East is strong and sure,” Austin said.He said the US was committed to countering Iran, even as Washington works to revive the 2015 nuclear deal.“We remain committed to a diplomatic outcome of the nuclear issue. But if Iran isn’t willing to engage seriously, then we will look at all the options necessary to keep the United States secure,” Austin said.Gulf states have asked for any deal to address Iran’s ballistic missile program and destabilizing behavior in the region.While several US administrations have tried to move the focus away from the Middle East and towards the Pacific, Biden in August ended the longest US war, in Afghanistan.Prince Turki al-Faisal, former head of the Saudi intelligence service, attending the Manama security forum, welcomed verbal assurances but said “demonstrative actions are equally important.”He cited the need to prevent Yemen’s Iran-aligned Houthis from obtaining arms.With ReutersRead more: Pentagon chief Austin reiterates commitment to security in the Middle EastUnspoken US aim at Iran nuclear talks may be winning Chinese, Russian supportUS President Biden, China’s Xi discuss how to ‘align’ stances on Iran nuclear issue
Source: Al Arabiya
Full Article: US defense secretary reaffirms commitment to withdraw US combat troops from Iraq
US congressional delegation meets with Lebanese leaders over crisis
A group of U.S. congressmen held meetings Saturday with Lebanon’s top leaders during a fact-finding mission to the Middle East nation roiled by an unprecedented economic crisis..
Source: Albawaba
Full Article: US congressional delegation meets with Lebanese leaders over crisis
Hundreds of anti-coup protesters rally in Sudan: Sources
Hundreds of Sudanese protesters again rallied Sunday against last month’s military coup and the ensuing crackdown which left at least 40 people killed, witnesses said.Protesters gathered in downtown Khartoum, as well as in the eastern state of Kassala and the northern city of Atbara, according to witnesses.For the latest headlines, follow our Google News channel online or via the app.Sudanese mediators announced Sunday morning the military had reached a deal to reinstate Prime Minister Abdalla Hamdok, who has been under house arrest since the power grab.Read more:Sudan military to reinstate ousted PM Hamdok after agreement reachedUN rights chief calls for Sudan military to step backUS, UK, Saudi Arabia, UAE call for immediate restoration of Sudan’s govt: StatementSudan’s Hamdok wants coup reversed as condition for dialog: Spokesman
Source: Al Arabiya
Full Article: Hundreds of anti-coup protesters rally in Sudan: Sources
Over 240,000 Lebanon expats register to vote in polls
Nearly 245,000 Lebanese living abroad have signed up to vote in next year’s parliamentary polls, Lebanon’s foreign ministry said Sunday, after it closed the window for registration.The vote scheduled for March 2020 is seen by many as a chance to challenge the ruling elite’s stranglehold on a country mired in its worse-ever financial crisis.For the latest headlines, follow our Google News channel online or via the app.Lebanon’s diaspora – estimated to number at least three times the country’s 6-million population – will take part in the vote for the 128-seat parliament, making them a powerful electoral force.The foreign ministry said the final expat voter count reached 244,442 – more than double the almost 93,000 who registered for the last parliamentary polls in 2018, Lebanon’s first expat vote.While the first was poorly publicised, this time around opposition activists at home and abroad organised social media campaigns explaining the registration process.In some parts of Europe, volunteers set up registration centres to help compatriots sign up.Europe accounted for the largest number of registered expat voters, with nearly 75,000, followed by Asia with 61,000 voters, and North America, where 60,000 expats signed up, the foreign ministry said in a statement.In Latin America, home to one of Lebanon’s largest and oldest diaspora communities, only 6,350 people registered for the vote.The March polls mark the first major electoral test since the 2019 onset of a financial crises widely blamed on nepotism and corruption among Lebanon’s ruling class.It comes as Lebanese, nearly 80 percent of whom live below the poverty line, battle to survive with scant incomes and endless power cuts and price hikes.Read more:Maintaining support for the LAF is crucial for Lebanon’s securityLebanon needs to show that Hezbollah can change behavior: Bahrain FMInternational observers vital to protect democratic process in Lebanon’s election
Source: Al Arabiya
Full Article: Over 240,000 Lebanon expats register to vote in polls
Sudan’s Hamdok, Burhan sign political deal to restore transition
The political agreement between Sudan’s Prime Minister Abdalla Hamdok and General Abdel Fattah al-Burhan has stipulated a civilian government of technocrats will be formed for the transitional period.Hamdok had been freed on Sunday from the house arrest imposed on him since last month's military coup.For the latest headlines, follow our Google News channel online or via the app.At a signing ceremony broadcast on live television, an agreement was reached for the release of all political detainees and efforts toward creating one unified army.Hamdok said he had agreed to the deal to stop the bloodshed."Sudanese blood is precious, let us stop the bloodshed and direct the youth's energy into building and development," he said.But the civilian coalition that shared power with the military previously said it opposed any talks with the "putschists" and called for protests to continue on Sunday.Even as news of the deal spread, thousands of protesters marched towards the presidential palace in Khartoum in the early afternoon and called for the downfall of Burhan.- With ReutersRead more:Sudan military to reinstate ousted PM Hamdok after agreement reachedHundreds of anti-coup protesters rally in Sudan: SourcesUN rights chief calls for Sudan military to step back
Source: Al Arabiya
Full Article: Sudan’s Hamdok, Burhan sign political deal to restore transition
Qatar, Turkey rescue Turkish citizens held by Libyan warlord Khalifa Haftar – Doha News | Qatar
Qatar helped release seven Turkish civilians on Sunday after they were held by Libya's Khalifa Haftar's forces for two years..
Source: Albawaba
Full Article: Qatar, Turkey rescue Turkish citizens held by Libyan warlord Khalifa Haftar – Doha News | Qatar
Turkey and the Kurds: Joint Kurdish plan? Turkish opposition hope for election boost
For the first time in 19 years, polls suggest Turkey's opposition could be on track to defeat President Erdogan at the next election. To boost their appeal to Kurdish voters, politicians are now talking openly about solving the Kurdish issue. But how sincere are they and how realistic their chances of success? Leyla Egeli reports..
Source: Albawaba
Full Article: Turkey and the Kurds: Joint Kurdish plan? Turkish opposition hope for election boost