Ex-head of Renault and Nissan insists colleague held in Japan is innocent as he works to refute his own charges..
Source: Albawaba
Full Article: ‘The story is very rich’: Ghosn’s escape to freedom has come at a cost
Libya parliament speaker Aguila Saleh submits papers to stand in presidential vote
The speaker of the eastern-based Libyan parliament, Aguila Saleh, submitted papers on Saturday to stand in presidential elections.The elections, scheduled for Dec. 24, remain in doubt amid disputes over the rules.For the latest headlines, follow our Google News channel online or via the app.“I came today to the headquarters of the High Elections Commission in Benghazi to submit the required documents for the nomination to the position of president of the Libyan Republic,”he said on Libya Votes TV.Aguila Saleh's candidacy follows that of several other prominent Libyans including Saif al-Islam Gaddafi and Khalifa Haftar.“Public voting is the only source of legitimacy for any authority,” Saleh had said earlier on Wednesdayin televised comments.Read more: Libya's parliament speaker declares presidential bidLibya elders urge boycott over Gaddafi presidential bidWorld powers aim to sanction Libya election spoilers
Source: Al Arabiya
Full Article: Libya parliament speaker Aguila Saleh submits papers to stand in presidential vote
Pentagon chief Austin reiterates commitment to security in the Middle East
US Defense Secretary Lloyd Austin sought on Saturday to reassure allies in the Middle East that President Joe Biden’s administration was committed to the region despite Washington increasingly turning its attention towards countering China.It was unclear how much impact Austin’s speech would have with Washington’s allies in the Middle East, since it was not backed by any announcements of further deployments or new weapon sales in the region.For the latest headlines, follow our Google News channel online or via the app.Gulf Arab states, heavily reliant on the US military umbrella, have expressed uncertainty about Biden’s focus on the region, especially after the US withdrawal from Afghanistan.They are now closely watching efforts to revive a global-powers nuclear pact with Iran.In a speech in Bahrain during a trip to the Gulf, Austin acknowledged concern in the region and globally that the United States was solely focused on China’s challenge.“Let’s be clear: America’s commitment to security in the Middle East is strong and sure,” Austin said.He said the United States was committed to countering Iran, even as Washington works to revive the 2015 nuclear deal.“We remain committed to a diplomatic outcome of the nuclear issue. But if Iran isn’t willing to engage seriously, then we will look at all the options necessary to keep the United States secure,” Austin said.The Pentagon chief said that Washington would be coming to the indirect negotiations on reviving the deal starting on Nov. 29 in Vienna in good faith.“But Iran’s actions in recent months have not been encouraging -- especially because of the expansion of their nuclear program,” he Austin said.Gulf states have asked for any deal to address what they call Iran’s ballistic missile program and destabilizing behavior in the region.While a number of US administrations have tried to move the focus away from the Middle East and towards the Pacific, Biden in August ended the longest US war, in Afghanistan.“There’s dismay that the United States is on its way out the door. I’m not sure messaging addresses that sense of impending American abandonment,” said Jon Alterman of the Washington CSIS think-tank.A senior US defense official, speaking on condition of anonymity, said Austin was not expected to make new commitments in the region during his trip.Prince Turki al-Faisal, former head of the Saudi intelligence service, attending the Manama security forum, welcomed verbal assurances but said “demonstrative actions are equally important”.He cited the need to prevent Yemen’s Iran-aligned Houthis from obtaining arms.Read more: Unspoken US aim at Iran nuclear talks may be winning Chinese, Russian support
Source: Al Arabiya
Full Article: Pentagon chief Austin reiterates commitment to security in the Middle East
Explainer: Why did PM Modi repeal India farm laws after a year?
Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi made a surprise announcement on Friday that he will withdraw agriculture laws that triggered a year of farmer protests, in what is seen as a major climbdown by his government.The nationwide demonstrations were the biggest challenge faced to date by his government.Experts say elections could be a major reason behind the sudden decision.Why did Modi’s government withdraw the laws?Experts say elections are a major reason.Farmers form the most influential voting bloc in India and politicians have long considered it unwise to alienate them. They are also particularly important to Modi’s Bharatiya Janata Party but have been up in arms since the laws were passed in September last year.Elections are due early next year in some key states such as Uttar Pradesh, India’s largest and most populated, and Punjab, and Modi’s party hopes to win them back.Both states have a sizeable farmer population, particularly Punjab.Modi’s party already rules Uttar Pradesh but is under immense pressure over its response to the pandemic and the struggling economy. If farmers desert his party during the polls, it will not only shrink its prospects to form the state government for a second term but also weaken its chances to get an overwhelming majority in 2024 national elections.Uttar Pradesh state sends the most legislators — 80 — to the national Parliament, which has 552 seats.Modi’s party has a very little footprint in Punjab but hopes to form a government there and strengthen its fledgling voter base in neighboring agricultural state Haryana, ruled by his party.But experts say the surprise decision may end up not helping the party.“It is still early so it’s not clear how a policy loss is going to convert into an electoral gain,” said Gilles Verniers, a professor of political science at New Delhi’s Ashoka University.Modi’s party welcomed the move, with some painting it as a decision that prioritized farmers.Jagat Prakash Nadda, president of Modi’s party, said the prime minister “has again proved that he is committed to the welfare of farmers.”What does it mean for the protesting farmers?It is a win for them — at least for now.Since the laws were passed last year, farmers have camped out on the outskirts of New Delhi, through a harsh winter and a devastating coronavirus surge. There also were demonstrations against the laws nationwide.The government initially negotiated with the protesters and offered to suspend the laws for 18 months, but the farmers continued to press for a full repeal.Over the past year, dozens of farmers died due to suicide, bad weather conditions and COVID-19 during the demonstrations, which drew international support.“It’s a big victory for the farmers’ movement and a big boost for those who have been agitating for over a year,” said Kiran Vissa, a farmer leader from southern Telangana state.Verniers, the political science professor, agreed.“Farmers will perceive it as their victory and not as a gesture of benevolence from the prime minister,” he said.Does this mean the protests have ended?They have not.Farmer groups have said they will continue to protest until the laws are officially withdrawn during the Parliament session set to begin in December.They say the protests will also continue until the government assures them of guaranteed prices for certain essential crops — a system introduced in the 1960s to help India shore up its food reserves and prevent shortages.“We welcome the decision but the movement doesn’t end here. Many of us don’t have a high degree of confidence in the PM or the central government and we won’t stop until we see it is repealed in Parliament” Vissa said.What were the laws all about?Modi’s government said the laws were necessary reforms to modernize Indian farming. But farmers feared that the government’s move to introduce market reforms in agriculture would leave them poorer.The laws also were not clear about whether the government would continue to guarantee prices for certain essential crops.Farmers worried that the laws signaled that the government was moving away from a system in which an overwhelming majority of farmers sell only to government-sanctioned marketplaces.They worried this would leave them at the mercy of corporations that would have no legal obligation to pay them guaranteed prices.Read more:Indian farmers opposing reforms stage nationwide protestsIndian police probe gruesome murder at farmers’ protest site, detain suspectPolice arrest Indian minister's son in killing of farmers
Source: Al Arabiya
Full Article: Explainer: Why did PM Modi repeal India farm laws after a year?
Lebanon needs to show that Hezbollah can change behavior: Bahrain FM
Bahrain’s Foreign Minister Abdullatif al-Zayani said on Saturday that Lebanon needs to demonstrate that its powerful Iran-allied Hezbollah movement can “change its behavior” to mend a rift with Gulf Arab states.Lebanon is facing its worst diplomatic crisis with Gulf states, spurred by a minister’s critical comments about the Saudi-led intervention in Yemen that prompted Saudi Arabia, Bahrain and Kuwait to expel Lebanon’s top diplomats and recall their own envoys.For the latest headlines, follow our Google News channel online or via the app.Concerned about Hezbollah's growing influence, Gulf states - traditional aid donors to Lebanon - have been withholding support to the country which is suffering a deep economic crisis."We (can) extend support and try to find solutions in the future, but once it is demonstrated that Hezbollah can be changing its behaviour," Zayani told the IISS Manama Dialogue security forum in Bahrain.Riyadh has said its measures last month against Lebanon, including an import ban, were not only in response to the minister's remarks, but were also to demonstrate unease over Hezbollah's "domination" of Lebanese politics.Lebanon's newly appointed information minister George Kordahi said his remarks were made in an interview before he joined the cabinet and has refused to apologise or step down.Hezbollah's leader has supported him in the diplomatic row and rejected calls for his resignation.Read more:Kuwait detains 18 suspected of financing Lebanon’s Iran-backed HezbollahLebanese central bank governor Salameh hands audit of his accounts to PM MikatiBritain advises against all but essential travel to Lebanon
Source: Al Arabiya
Full Article: Lebanon needs to show that Hezbollah can change behavior: Bahrain FM
U.S. Tries to Convince Arab Allies It Isn’t Abandoning Them
The defense secretary faced tough questions about how countries were supposed to deal with a U.S. national security policy that upends itself with each president..
Source: Albawaba
Full Article: U.S. Tries to Convince Arab Allies It Isn’t Abandoning Them
Prophet’s Holy Mosque open for prayers without an appointment or permit: Officials
Officials in Saudi Arabia have announced that permits and appointments are no longer needed for visitors wishing to pray at the Prophet’s Holy Mosque in Medina, according to the Kingdom’s Ministry of Hajj and Umrah.Officials said that visitors wishing to pray at the Prophet’s Holy Mosque will no longer need to apply for a permit and book an appointment through the “Eatmarna” app but will still be required to present their “Tawakkalna” app proving they have received two doses of the COVID-19 vaccine or received the first dose and completed 14 days after receiving the jab, according to the Saudi newspaper Okaz.For the latest headlines, follow our Google News channel online or via the app.Last month, the Grand Mosque in Mecca operated at full capacity, with worshippers praying shoulder-to-shoulder for the first time since the coronavirus pandemic began.This came after Saudi Arabia’s Interior Ministry approved easing the country’s strict COVID-19 precautionary measures, which include operating Mecca’s Grand Mosque at full capacity.Earlier this week, the Kingdom announced that overseas pilgrims can now apply for permits for Umrah and prayers at the Grand Mosque in Mecca, as well as for visiting the Prophet’s Mosque in Medina via approved mobile applications.Read more:Mecca’s Holy Kaaba disinfection takes 20 minutes using special techniqueSaudi Arabia: Overseas pilgrims can apply for Umrah, prayer, visit permits via appsSaudi Arabia allows full capacity at Mecca’s Grand Mosque as COVID-19 rules easedSaudi Arabia to restrict Umrah permits to those who received two COVID vaccine doses
Source: Al Arabiya
Full Article: Prophet’s Holy Mosque open for prayers without an appointment or permit: Officials
Thousands protest drought in Iran’s Isfahan, government apologises
Thousands of protesters converged on Isfahan in central Iran on Friday to voice their anger after the city’s lifeblood river dried up due to drought and diversion..
Source: Albawaba
Full Article: Thousands protest drought in Iran’s Isfahan, government apologises
Restoration of Mosul churches brings glimmer of hope to Christian community
Cymbals, prayers and Chaldean Catholic liturgy resounded on Friday in Mosul’s Saint George monastery, where Iraqi faithful marked the restoration of two churches destroyed by jihadists in their former stronghold..
Source: Albawaba
Full Article: Restoration of Mosul churches brings glimmer of hope to Christian community
Iran’s second-largest airline Mahan Air says hit by cyber attack
Iran’s second-largest airline, Mahan Air, said it had been hit by a cyber attack Sunday, the latest in several targeting the company.“Mahan Air’s computer system has suffered a new attack,” the company said in a statement.For the latest headlines, follow our Google News channel online or via the app.“It has already been the target on several occasions due to its important position in the country’s aviation industry.”All of its flights were on schedule, the statement added, but the company’s website was down.“Our internet security team is thwarting the cyber attack,” spokesman Amir-Hossein Zolanvari told state television.Mahan Air is Iran’s main private airline and the second biggest after the national carrier Iran Air.It has been on the blacklist of Iranian companies targeted by US sanctions since 2011.In addition to a domestic network, it also serves destinations in Europe and Asia.Iran last month accused Israel and the US of a cyber attack on its petrol distribution system that caused havoc at fuel pumps nationwide.Israel’s internet infrastructure has meanwhile been hit by cyber attacks by the Black Shadow hacking group, including against the largest Israeli LGBTQ dating site and an insurance firm.The hacking group has not acknowledged any link to Iran, but the attacks are widely seen as part of a years-long covert war between Israel and Iran including physical attacks on ships and offensive cyber moves online.Read more: Iran’s Mahan Air contributed to spreading coronavirus in Middle East: Investigation
Source: Al Arabiya
Full Article: Iran’s second-largest airline Mahan Air says hit by cyber attack