Hosting the conversation

Middle East Experience

Latest News

Iran begins annual war games ahead of nuke talks with West

Iran’s military began its annual war games in a coastal area of the Gulf of Oman, state TV reported Sunday, less than a month before upcoming nuclear talks with the West.For the latest headlines, follow our Google News channel online or via the app.The report said navy and air force units as well as ground forces were participating in a more than 1 million square-kilometer (386,100 square-mile) area east of the strategic Strait of Hormuz.Nearly 20 percent of all oil shipping passes through the strait to the Gulf of Oman and Indian Ocean.The drill comes amid heightened tensions between Iran and the US in the wake of former President Donald Trump’s unilateral withdrawal of America from Iran’s 2015 nuclear deal with world powers.State TV said brigades including commandos and airborne infantry deployed for the annual exercise. Fighter jets, helicopters, military transport aircraft, submarines and drones were also expected to take part in the drill. It wasn’t immediately clear how long the exercise would last.Dubbed “Zolfaghar-1400,” the war games are aimed at “improving readiness in confronting foreign threats and any possible invasion,” state TV said.US officials said last week that Iran had seized a Vietnamese-flagged oil tanker in the Gulf of Oman last month and was still holding the vessel in its port.Iran offered conflicting accounts of what happened, claiming that elite Revolutionary Guard commandos had thwarted a US seizure of a tanker carrying Iranian oil in the Gulf of Oman and freed the vessel. It aired dramatic footage on state television but did not further explain the incident.The nuclear deal, known as the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action, or JCPOA, promises Iran economic incentives in exchange for limits on its nuclear program, and is meant to prevent Tehran from developing a nuclear bomb.After the US withdrew from the deal in 2018 and restored sanctions on Iran, the Islamic Republic gradually — and publicly — abandoned the deal’s limits on its nuclear development.Iran says its stockpile of 20 percent enriched uranium has reached over 210 kilograms (463 pounds), the latest defiant move ahead of upcoming nuclear talks with the West.Under the historic nuclear deal, Iran was prohibited from enriching uranium above 3.67 percent. Enriched uranium above 90 percent can be used for nuclear weapons, though Tehran insists its nuclear program is peaceful.After months of delays, the European Union, Iran and the US announced last week that indirect talks to resuscitate the deal would resume Nov. 29 in Vienna.Read more: Iran begins war games near border, despite criticism from AzerbaijanIran’s Supreme leader Khamenei defends military drills near Azerbaijan borderTurkey plans military drills with Azerbaijan after Iran’s army exercises near border
Source: Al Arabiya
Full Article: Iran begins annual war games ahead of nuke talks with West

Saudi Arabia condemns ‘cowardly terrorist’ act that targeted Iraq’s PM

Saudi Arabia’s Ministry of Foreign Affairs on Sunday condemned the “cowardly terrorist” act that targeted Iraq’s Prime Minister Mustafa al-Kadhimi, according to a statement.For the latest headlines, follow our Google News channel online or via the app.“The Ministry of Foreign Affairs has expressed Saudi Arabia’s strong condemnation of the cowardly terrorist act that targeted the Iraqi Prime Minister,” the statement said.The Kingdom “affirms that it stands united by Iraq, its government, and its people in confronting all terrorists who are trying in vain to prevent Iraq from restoring its [role], consolidating its security and stability, and enhancing its prosperity and development,” the statement added.Iraq’s Prime Minister was targeted in a “failed assassination attempt” after an explosive-laden drone struck his residence in Baghdad, Iraqi military said early Sunday.Kadhimi said he was unhurt and appealed for “calm and restraint” after a drone attack on his residence early Sunday as political tensions mounted in the country.The attack in Baghdad’s Green Zone was the first to target the residence of Kadhimi, who has been in power since May 2020, and came as Iraq’s political parties wrangle over who will run the next government after elections last month.Read more:Iraq military: PM targeted in failed ‘assassination’ attempt, drone struck his houseIraq PM speaks out after attempted assassination, photos show attack aftermathIraqi militia Asaib Ahl al-Haq says Kadhimi assassination attempt ‘fabricated’
Source: Al Arabiya
Full Article: Saudi Arabia condemns ‘cowardly terrorist’ act that targeted Iraq’s PM

Al Jazeera billboards appear in Cairo as Egypt continues crackdown on journalists – Doha News | Qatar

Billboards advertising the Qatar-based Al Jazeera media network have been spotted in Egypt's streets for the first time since the channel's bureau in Cairo was shut down in 2013..
Source: Albawaba
Full Article: Al Jazeera billboards appear in Cairo as Egypt continues crackdown on journalists – Doha News | Qatar