Hosting the conversation

Middle East Experience

Latest News

Electric Hummer receives ‘almost overwhelming’ Mid East response: GM exec

There has been an “almost overwhelming” response to the launch of the new all-electric Hummer, with Middle East dealerships ready to take as many as possible, a General Motors executive told Al Arabiya English.For the latest headlines, follow our Google News channel online or via the app.The 1,000 horsepower electric truck that boasts a 0-60 speed of just three seconds has already sold out in the US, President of GM International Steve Kiefer said.“The reaction has been incredible, almost overwhelming,” Kiefer explained. “I hosted our dealers from around the region yesterday [Monday] and every one of them is just ready to take as many as they can.“I just wish I could make more of them sooner. Right now, there's just incredible excitement around,” he added.Kiefer also noted the fondness that many customers in the Middle East had for the Hummer brand when General Motors sold previous iterations of the truck in the region.The launch of the new Hummer was announced on Monday along with 12 other new electric vehicles. Other models include the luxury SUV Cadillac Lyriq and the Chevrolet Bolt.General Motors plans to introduce a total of 30 new electric vehicles by 2025 including what Kiefer described as an affordable model comparable to the Chevrolet Equinox, which costs around $31,000 according to the Chevrolet website.The Hummer, on the other hand, starts at $79,995.The new electric vehicles are being manufactured in a Detroit, Michigan plant that was slated for closure in 2018, the Detroit News reported.General Motors eventually decided against demolition and invested $2.2 billion into the plant to transform it into an electric vehicle factory, rebranded Factory Zero.The Hummer was launched at the factory at an event attended by President Joe Biden who took the truck for a spin and lauded the job creation possibilities that electric vehicle production could bring.“It was really quite iconic and important that we were able to do it in our hometown of Detroit, Michigan,” Kiefer said.“For it to find new life to be completely refurbished is extremely exciting.”The Hummer is expected to be available in the Middle East in the fourth quarter of 2022, with the Cadillac Lyriq following shortly afterwards.Read more: Honda changing course, will build its own electric vehiclesHonda, GM sign deal to work on battery-powered and self-driving vehicles togetherGM to invest $2.2 bln in Detroit to build electric vehicles
Source: Al Arabiya
Full Article: Electric Hummer receives ‘almost overwhelming’ Mid East response: GM exec

Arab Coalition conducts 17 operations against Houthis in Marib, al-Bayda

The Arab Coalition said it has conducted 17 operations against the Iran-backed Houthi militia in Marib and Al-Bayda during the past 24 hours, according to a statement.The coalition confirmed that the targeted operations have destroyed 12 Houthi military vehicles and killed more than 110 militia members.The Arab military alliance in Yemen said on Tuesday it had destroyed a ballistic missile launch site in overnight air strikes in the Iran-backed Houthi militia-controlled capital Sanaa, where residents reported big explosions.For the latest headlines, follow our Google News channel online or via the app.In a statement reported by the Saudi state news agency (SPA) on Twitter, the coalition said air strikes had been conducted against “legitimate military targets” in Sanaa.It described the ballistic missile sites as “secret”, and said one of “high-value” had been destroyed.The coalition said it had taken measures to spare civilians any collateral damage, adding that “the secret positions” had used hospitals, organizations and civilians as human shields.Read more:Arab coalition strikes sites in Yemen capital SanaaUS envoy to Yemen heads to Saudi Arabia to discuss Houthi actions, concerns over IranIran-backed Houthis continue to detain US, UN employees: State Department
Source: Al Arabiya
Full Article: Arab Coalition conducts 17 operations against Houthis in Marib, al-Bayda

Afghanistan: Country must have access to funds to avoid humanitarian disaster

The international community must urgently ease existing financial restrictions on Afghanistan that are blocking the provision of healthcare, food and other essential services, and expedite delivery of scaled-up humanitarian assistance to avert a mounting crisis that threatens the lives of tens of millions of people, said Amnesty International. A combination of a suspension of foreign aid, ..
Source: Albawaba
Full Article: Afghanistan: Country must have access to funds to avoid humanitarian disaster

Iraqi militia Asaib Ahl al-Haq says Kadhimi assassination attempt ‘fabricated’

The assassination attempt on Iraq’s Prime Minister Mustafa al-Kadhimi was “fabricated”, Iran-backed Iraqi Shia militia Asaib Ahl al-Haq spokesperson Mahmod al-Rubaeay said on Sunday.“My expectation is [that] it is a fabricated explosion… with the aim of covering up yesterday's crimes and preoccupying public opinion,” Rubaeay said on Twitter.For the latest headlines, follow our Google News channel online or via the app.Iraq’s military said Kadhimi’s residence in Baghdad’s Green Zone was targeted by an explosive-laden drone, but the PM was unharmed.Kadhimi took to Twitter to say he was fine and call for restraint from the public.“I am fine, praise be to God, among my people, and I call for calm and restraint from everyone, for the sake of Iraq,” Kadhimi said.On Saturday, pro-Iran Shia militia supporters have camped outside one of the gates of the Green Zone, demonstrating against the results of last month's parliamentary election, a day after a protestor was killed in clashes with security forces.Read more:Iraq military: PM targeted in failed ‘assassination’ attempt, drone struck his housePro-Iran factions in fresh Baghdad demonstration after deadly clashBaghdad deaths, injuries to be investigated amid election dispute: Iraq news agency
Source: Al Arabiya
Full Article: Iraqi militia Asaib Ahl al-Haq says Kadhimi assassination attempt ‘fabricated’

US condemns attack on Iraq PM as ‘apparent act of terrorism’

The US condemned on Sunday the attack on Iraq’s Prime Minister Mustafa al-Kadhimi and labeled it an “apparent act of terrorism”, State Department spokesman Ned Price said.“This apparent act of terrorism, which we strongly condemn, was directed at the heart of the Iraqi state,” Price said in a statement.For the latest headlines, follow our Google News channel online or via the app.“We are in close touch with the Iraqi security forces charged with upholding Iraq’s sovereignty and independence and have offered our assistance as they investigate this attack,” he added.Iraq’s military said Kadhimi’s residence in Baghdad’s Green Zone was targeted by an explosive-laden drone in a “failed assassination attempt”, but the PM was unharmed.Kadhimi took to Twitter to say he was fine and call for restraint from the public.“I am fine, praise be to God, among my people, and I call for calm and restraint from everyone, for the sake of Iraq,” Kadhimi said.Read more:Iraq military: PM targeted in failed ‘assassination’ attempt, drone struck his houseIraqi militia Asaib Ahl al-Haq says Kadhimi assassination attempt ‘fabricated’Pro-Iran factions in fresh Baghdad demonstration after deadly clash
Source: Al Arabiya
Full Article: US condemns attack on Iraq PM as ‘apparent act of terrorism’

Iraq PM speaks out after attempted assassination, photos show attack aftermath

Iraq’s Prime Minister Mustafa al-Kadhimi said he was unhurt and appealed for “calm and restraint” after a drone attack on his residence early Sunday as political tensions mounted in the country.For the latest headlines, follow our Google News channel online or via the app.The attack in Baghdad’s Green Zone was the first to target the residence of Kadhimi, who has been in power since May 2020, and came as Iraq’s political parties wrangle over who will run the next government after elections last month.That vote saw the Conquest (Fatah) Alliance, the political arm of the pro-Iran Hashed al-Shaabi paramilitary network, suffer a substantial decline in its parliamentary seats, leading the group to denounce the outcome as “fraud.”No group has yet claimed responsibility for Sunday’s attack, which left two bodyguards injured, according to a security source.In a tweet, Kadhemi called “for calm and restraint on the part of everyone for the good of Iraq.”“My residence has been the target of cowardly assault. Praise God, I am fine and so are those who work with me,” he then said in a short video shared on social media.“Cowardly missiles and drones don’t build nations.”Kadhimi’s office described the attack as a “failed assassination attempt.”The US swiftly condemned the attack and said it was “relieved to learn the Prime Minister was unharmed.”“This apparent act of terrorism, which we strongly condemn, was directed at the heart of the Iraqi state,” State Department spokesman Ned Price said in a statement.“We are in close touch with the Iraqi security forces charged with upholding Iraq’s sovereignty and independence and have offered our assistance as they investigate this attack.”Many security forces were deployed in and around the heavily guarded Green Zone, which also hosts the US embassy and is frequently targeted by rocket attacks.On October 31, three rockets fell in Mansour, a neighboring district, without causing any injuries.Read more:Iraq military: PM targeted in failed ‘assassination’ attempt, drone struck his houseIranian top security official Shamkhani condemns attack on Iraqi PMUS condemns attack on Iraq PM as ‘apparent act of terrorism’
Source: Al Arabiya
Full Article: Iraq PM speaks out after attempted assassination, photos show attack aftermath