Hosting the conversation

Middle East Experience

Latest News

Trump vowed to remake aid. Is Gaza the future?

President Donald Trump has slashed US aid and vowed a major rethink on helping the world. A controversial effort to bring food to Gaza may offer clues on what's to come.Administered by contracted US security with Israeli troops at the perimeter, the Gaza Humanitarian Foundation (GHF) is distributing food through several hubs in the war-ravaged Gaza Strip.An officially private effort with opaque funding, the GHF began operations on May 26 after Israel completely cut off supplies into Gaza for over two months, sparking warnings of mass famine.
Source: Al Monitor
Full Article: Trump vowed to remake aid. Is Gaza the future?

Moroccan women embroider 'art with purpose'

In a small village on the coast of southern Morocco, women gather in a house to create collaborative works of textile art, and also earn a living.Several hunch over large canvasses, embroidering their latest piece at the women-only workshop, in the village of 400 people. Some of their works have been shown internationally."This project has changed my life," said Hanane Ichbikili, a 28-year-old former nursing student turned project creative director."And yet I had never held an embroidery needle before," she told AFP.
Source: Al Monitor
Full Article: Moroccan women embroider 'art with purpose'

Sudden hailstorm lashes Egypt's Alexandria

An unseasonal rainstorm battered the Egyptian city of Alexandria on Saturday, flooding roads and damaging seafront businesses in the latest bout of erratic weather to hit the region.Hailstones pelted the city overnight, forcing people to flee cafes as gusts of wind blew the ice pellets through windows, according to footage posted on social media.Lightning lit up the skies and underpasses were submerged.Alexandria governor Ahmed Khaled Hassan raised the alert level and emergency crews worked through the morning to tow cars and clear debris.
Source: Al Monitor
Full Article: Sudden hailstorm lashes Egypt's Alexandria

Arab ministers condemn Israel 'ban' on planned West Bank visit

The foreign ministers of several Arab countries, who had planned to visit the occupied West Bank this weekend, condemned on Saturday Israel's decision to block their trip.The ministers condemned "Israel's decision to ban the delegation's visit to Ramallah (on Sunday) to meet with the president of the State of Palestine, Mahmud Abbas", the Jordanian foreign ministry said.Ministers from Saudi Arabia, Egypt, Jordan and Bahrain had been expected to take part alongside the secretary-general of the Arab League, according to the statement.
Source: Al Monitor
Full Article: Arab ministers condemn Israel 'ban' on planned West Bank visit