Hosting the conversation

Middle East Experience

Latest News

Taliban vow to be accountable, probe reports of reprisals in Afghanistan

The Taliban will be accountable for its actions and will investigate reports of reprisals and atrocities carried out by members, an official of the militant group told Reuters on Saturday.For the latest headlines, follow our Google News channel online or via the app.The official, who spoke on condition of anonymity, added that the group planned to ready a new model for governing Afghanistan within the next few weeks.It has been just a week since the Taliban completed a lighting fast takeover of the country, finally walking into Kabul last Sunday without firing a shot.Since then, individual Afghans and international aid and advocacy groups have reported harsh retaliation against protests, and roundups of those who formerly held government positions, criticized the Taliban or worked with Americans.“We have heard of some cases of atrocities and crimes against civilians,” the official said. “If Talibs (members) are doing these law and order problems, they will be investigated.”He added, “We can understand the panic, stress and anxiety. People think we will not be accountable, but that will not be the case.”Although the Taliban has sought to present a more moderate face since its takeover, the group ruled with an iron fist from 1996 to 2001, before being toppled by US-led forces for sheltering al Qaeda militants behind the Sept. 11 attacks.Former officials told harrowing tales of hiding from the Taliban in recent days as armed gunmen went from door to door. One family of 16 described running to the bathroom, lights off and children’s mouths covered, in fear for their lives.The new framework for governing the country would not be a democracy by Western definition but “It will protect everyone’s rights,” the official added.“Legal, religious and foreign policy experts in the Taliban aim to present the new governing framework in the next few weeks,” he said.Chaos at airportThe chaos at Kabul airport, besieged by thousands of people desperate to flee, was not the responsibility of the Taliban, he added. “The West could have had a better plan to evacuate.”Gun-toting Taliban members around the airport have urged those without travel documents to go home. At least 12 people have been killed in and around the airport since Sunday, NATO and Taliban officials said.US evacuation flights from Kabul’s airport stopped for more than six hours on Friday, while US authorities looked for countries willing to accept people fleeing Afghanistan. They resumed later in the day.As Western nations struggled to ramp up the pace of evacuations amid the chaos and reports of Taliban violence, US President Joe Biden confronted criticism about the planning for the withdrawal of US troops and the militants’ swift takeover.“I have seen no question of our credibility from our allies,” Biden told reporters after making a speech from the White House on Friday. “... As a matter of fact, the exact opposite I’ve got ... we’re acting with dispatch, we’re acting, committing to what we said we would do.”He insisted every American who wanted to would be evacuated, and that about 18,000 people had been airlifted out since July.NATO Secretary-General Jens Stoltenberg called the situation outside Kabul airport “very dire and difficult,” as several member nations pressed for evacuations to continue beyond a US deadline of Aug. 31.Biden has not backed off that deadline, despite calls - internationally and at home from fellow Democrats as well as opposition Republicans - to keep troops in Afghanistan as long as necessary to bring home every American.Biden said he could not predict what the final outcome would be in Afghanistan, where the US and allies have waged a 20-year war.But he promised to work with other countries to set “harsh conditions” for any cooperation or recognition of the Taliban, based on their human rights record.“They’re looking to gain some legitimacy, they’re going to have to figure out how they’re going to retain that country,” he said.“And there’s going to be some harsh conditions, strong conditions we’re going to apply that will depend on ... how well they treat women and girls, how they treat their citizens.”Read moreUAE agrees to hosting 5000 Afghan nationals evacuated on US flights from KabulTaliban seized control of Afghanistan, but a major challenge remains: CashSombre mood across Afghanistan as Taliban are back at Friday prayers
Source: Al Arabiya
Full Article: Taliban vow to be accountable, probe reports of reprisals in Afghanistan

Taliban co-founder Baradar in Kabul for talks on setting up govt: Official

The Taliban’s co-founder Mullah Abdul Ghani Baradar arrived in Kabul on Saturday for talks with fellow members of the group and other politicians on establishing a new Afghan government.For the latest headlines, follow our Google News channel online or via the app.“He will be in Kabul to meet jihadi leaders and politicians for an inclusive government set-up,” a senior Taliban official told AFP.Arrested in Pakistan in 2010, Baradar was kept in custody until pressure from the US saw him freed in 2018 and relocated to Qatar.He was appointed head of the Taliban’s political office in Doha, where he oversaw the signing of the foreign forces’ withdrawal agreement with the Americans.Baradar arrived in Afghanistan on Tuesday from Qatar, choosing to touch down in the country’s second biggest city Kandahar -- the Taliban’s spiritual birthplace.Within hours of his return the group announced its rule would be “different” this time.Read more:Taliban seized control of Afghanistan, but a major challenge remains: CashTaliban vow to be accountable, probe reports of reprisals in AfghanistanUS has 5,800 troops at Kabul airport to help with evacuations: Official
Source: Al Arabiya
Full Article: Taliban co-founder Baradar in Kabul for talks on setting up govt: Official

US military releases update on Afghan baby handed to marines at Kabul airport

US military officials confirmed on Friday that an Afghan baby who was handed to marines over a razor wire wall at Kabul’s airport has been safely reunited with their father.For the latest headlines, follow our Google News channel online or via the app.“The baby seen in the video was taken to a medical treatment facility on site and cared for by medical professionals,” Maj. James Stenger, a spokesman for the Marines, wrote in an email to the New York Times.“I can confirm the baby was reunited with their father and is safe at the airport.”A video of the baby being handed to US personnel amid chaotic scenes went viral on social media on Thursday as Afghans crowded the airport attempting to flee Taliban rule.Stenger did not provide any additional details requested by the New York Times, including the baby’s gender or how many children had been taken to similar facilities.He sent several photos showing US Marines playing with children at military checkpoints and giving children water.US President Biden committed on Friday to sending 6,000 US troops to aid operations at Kabul airport after the Taliban took over the city without a fight on Sunday.Biden has pledged to bring all Americans and Afghans who aided in its war efforts back to the US.Read more: Watch: ‘Desperate’ Afghans hand babies to soldiers, UK says can’t take minorsYoung Afghan girl begs US soldiers for help, says ‘Taliban coming for me’Afghanistan’s president, family in UAE on ‘humanitarian grounds:’ Foreign ministry
Source: Al Arabiya
Full Article: US military releases update on Afghan baby handed to marines at Kabul airport

Taliban deny kidnapping foreigners but say ‘questioning some’

The Taliban have not kidnapped any foreigner, although some of them are being questioned before being allowed to leave Afghanistan, an official of the extremist group said on Saturday.Just a week after the Taliban's swift takeover of the south Asian nation, Western nations have struggled to ramp up the pace of evacuations amid chaos and reports of violence by the group's fighters.For the latest headlines, follow our Google News channel online or via the app.“Our fighters will continue to demonstrate restraint,” the Taliban official told Reuters on condition of anonymity.He ruled out incidents of reported kidnappings of foreigners, but added, “We are questioning some of them before they exit the country.”The Taliban have disowned responsibility for the disorder at Kabul airport, besieged by thousands desperate to flee the country, and have said the West could have had a better plan to evacuate.At least 12 people have been killed in and around the airport since Sunday, NATO and Taliban officials have said, as gun-toting Taliban around it urged those without travel documents to go home.Read more:Taliban co-founder Baradar in Kabul for talks on setting up govt: OfficialTaliban are not stopping people leaving the country at Kabul airport: OfficialTaliban seized control of Afghanistan, but a major challenge remains: Cash
Source: Al Arabiya
Full Article: Taliban deny kidnapping foreigners but say ‘questioning some’