Hosting the conversation

Middle East Experience

Latest News

Afghan domestic flights to resume Friday: Ariana Afghan Airlines

Domestic flights were set to resume in Afghanistan on Friday, the country’s flag carrier Ariana Afghan Airlines said.For the latest headlines, follow our Google News channel online or via the app.“We have received a green light from the Taliban and aviation authorities and plan to start flights today,” Tamim Ahmadi, a senior manager with the airline told AFP.A Qatari aircraft landed in Kabul Wednesday carrying a technical team to discuss the resumption of airport operations after the Taliban takeover of Afghanistan, according to a source with knowledge of the matter.The source said that the goal was to resume flights for both humanitarian aid and to provide freedom of movement, including the resumption of evacuation efforts.Both domestic and international flights from Afghanistan have been disrupted since the Taliban took over capital Kabul on August 15.United Airlines, British Airways and Virgin Atlantic stopped using Afghanistan airspace on August 15 as US-led forces departed and Western nations scrambled to evacuate citizens.On August 16, Qatar Airways, Singapore Airlines, Taiwan’s China Airlines, Air France KLM and Lufthansa followed suit.In Air France’s case, six routes were affected: Bangkok, Delhi, Singapore, Mumbai, Madras and Ho Chi Minh.Lufthansa said flight times to India and some other destinations will be extended by up to one hour, in a move that will add to fuel costs.In a notice to airmen on its website on August 16, the Afghanistan Civil Aviation Authority (ACAA) said any transit through Kabul airspace - which covers all Afghanistan - would be uncontrolled.“Kabul airspace has been released to the military. Advise transit aircraft to reroute,” the notice said, without specifying precisely which military given the collapse of local security forces in the face of the Taliban offensive.“Any transit through Kabul airspace will be uncontrolled. Surrounding FIRs (air traffic control regions) have been advised.”Some flights turned around right after the announcement. Flight tracking website FlightRadar24 showed an Air India flight from Chicago to Delhi changed course and exited Afghanistan’s airspace shortly after entering, while a Terra Avia flight from Baku to Delhi did the same.The Air India flight later diverted to Sharjah in the United Arab Emirates for more fuel, FlightRadar24 said.More than 123,000 foreign nationals and Afghans fled the country in a frenzied airlift operation that wound up on Tuesday, but many more are desperate to depart.US officials have said Kabul airport is in a bad condition, with much of its basic infrastructure degraded or destroyed.Read more: Qatar plane carrying technical team lands in Kabul: SourceUS defense secretary thanks GCC countries for their role in Afghanistan evacuationEmirates airline suspends flights to Kabul: Website
Source: Al Arabiya
Full Article: Afghan domestic flights to resume Friday: Ariana Afghan Airlines

More burqas being sold in Afghanistan after Taliban takeover

An Afghan burqa seller said on Thursday that the sale of burqas has increased since the Taliban took over in Afghanistan.For the latest headlines, follow our Google News channel online or via the app.“In the previous government, I was wearing a hijab or other suitable clothes,” said Nadia, a customer at a store selling burqas. “Now I want to buy a burqa because after the arrival of the Taliban, they said that women should observe the veil,” she added.The burqa covers the entire body, with a mesh fabric window to see through.The Taliban, who captured Kabul and brought a chaotic end to 20 years of war, have tried to present a more moderate face to the world since they swept aside the US-backed government and returned to power last month, promising to protect human rights and refrain from reprisals against old enemies.Afghanistan's Taliban rulers said on Wednesday they were planning to unveil their new government in “coming days” as the economy teetered on the edge of collapse more than two weeks after the extremist group captured Kabul and brought a chaotic end to 20 years of war.“Horrifying” reports have emerged that the Taliban have severely restricted the rights of Afghan women and girls, United Nations Secretary-General Antonio Guterres said when the extremists began taking over different regions of the country.“I’m... deeply disturbed by early indications that that the Taliban are imposing severe restrictions on human rights in the areas under their control, particularly targeting women and journalists,” Guterres told reporters.“It is particularly horrifying and heartbreaking to see reports of the hard won rights of Afghan girls and women being ripped away,” he added.On Thursday, Women in the Herat province of Afghanistan staged protests, demanding basic rights for women and girls, including the right to work and get an education.Meanwhile in Kabul, Afghan women's rights defenders and civil activists protested in front of the presidential palace to call on the Taliban for the preservation of their achievements and education.Read more:Afghan women protest in Herat calling for rights to work, get an education: ReportTaliban imposing ‘horrifying’ curbs on Afghan women’s rights: UN chiefAfghan female bank employees forced out of jobs as Taliban takes control
Source: Al Arabiya
Full Article: More burqas being sold in Afghanistan after Taliban takeover

Taliban waiting until after August 31 to decide on upcoming government

An Afghan official familiar with talks with the Taliban says the group does not plan to make any decisions or announcements about the upcoming government until after the August 31 US withdrawal date passes.The official, who is not authorized to give information to the media and thus spoke anonymously, says Taliban lead negotiator Anas Haqqani has told his ex-government interlocuters that the insurgent movement has a deal with the US “to do nothing” until after the final withdrawal date passes.For the latest headlines, follow our Google News channel online or via the app.He did not elaborate on whether the reference to doing nothing was only in the political field.Haqqani’s statement raises concerns about what the religious movement might be planning after August 31, and whether they will keep their promise to include non-Taliban officials in the next government.Until now the Taliban have said nothing of their plans to replace the Afghan National Defense and Security Forces, or what a replacement would look like.Read more: Who are the most influential Taliban leaders?
Source: Al Arabiya
Full Article: Taliban waiting until after August 31 to decide on upcoming government