Hosting the conversation

Middle East Experience

Latest News

ISIS claims responsibility for rocket attack on Kabul airport

ISIS claimed responsibility for a rocket attack on Kabul airport on Monday, the group’s Nasher News said on its Telegram channel.For the latest headlines, follow our Google News channel online or via the app.“By the grace of God Almighty, the soldiers of the Caliphate targeted Kabul International Airport with six Katyusha rockets,” it said.US anti-missile defenses intercepted as many as five rockets fired at Kabul’s airport early on Monday, a US official said.Read more: Several rockets fired at Kabul airport as evacuation winds downCanada ends evacuation efforts of citizens, Afghans from Kabul: OfficialUS in final phase of Kabul evacuations, Taliban prepares government
Source: Al Arabiya
Full Article: ISIS claims responsibility for rocket attack on Kabul airport

UAE announces lower price for PCR tests across all emirates, results within 24 hours

All medical establishments across the United Arab Emirates will price their PCR tests at AED 50 ($13.61) while all centers and labs being told they are obliged to issue results within 24 hours, according to an official announcement.“The Ministry of Health and Prevention (MoHAP) announced a reduction in the price of PCR tests in all national medical establishments to AED50 while obliging all centers and laboratories to issue results within 24 hours,” state-run WAM news agency stated on Sunday.For more coronavirus news, visit our dedicated page.“This move aims to reduce the cost of tests and ease the burdens on members of the community while ensuring regular testing for coronavirus (COVID-19),” the statement added.The reduction in prices will come into force starting August 31.Read more:UAE records 993 COVID-19 cases, one death in 24 hoursAbu Dhabi requires booster shot for people who took Sinopharm COVID-19 vaccineAbu Dhabi to resume cruise ship tourism under COVID-19 restrictionsAbu Dhabi requires COVID-19 PCR test for private, charter school students, staff
Source: Al Arabiya
Full Article: UAE announces lower price for PCR tests across all emirates, results within 24 hours

Global coalition pledges to keep fighting ISIS after Kabul attack

The group of countries that have banded together to fight ISIS, including the US, released a statement pledging to work to eliminate the group and taking special aim at its affiliate in Afghanistan that took responsibility for Monday’s rocket attack on Kabul’s airport.For the latest headlines, follow our Google News channel online or via the app.“We will draw on all elements of national power — military, intelligence, diplomatic, economic, law enforcement — to ensure the defeat of this brutal terrorist organization,” the coalition said in a statement released by the US State Department, which also said the countries would “identify and bring their members to justice.”Read more: ISIS claims responsibility for rocket attack on Kabul airportSeveral rockets fired at Kabul airport as evacuation winds downFinal US departure from Kabul underway: Official
Source: Al Arabiya
Full Article: Global coalition pledges to keep fighting ISIS after Kabul attack

Security Council renews mandate of UN peacekeeping force in Lebanon for another year

The UN Security Council Monday voted to renew the mandate of the UN peacekeeping force in Lebanon for another year, Beirut’s envoy to the UN said.“The UN Security Council just voted unanimously to renew the mandate of UNIFIL in Lebanon after difficult negotiations. Good news 4 UNIFIl, for it Lebanese partner the LAF, and for peace and security. Thanks to all SC members for their support esp France the pen holder,” Amal Mudallali tweeted.For the latest headlines, follow our Google News channel online or via the app.The US and Israel have long advocated for altering UNIFIL’s mandate due to Hezbollah’s violations of UNSC resolutions. Proposed changes previously have included a troop reduction and reducing the length of the mandate to six months.Around 10,000 peacekeeping troops and another 900 civilians make up the force, which was initially formed to ensure the withdrawal of Israeli forces after they invaded Lebanon in 1978.After the July 2006 war between Hezbollah and Israel, the mandate saw an increase in the number of troops to a maximum of 15,000.Last year’s mandate saw the maximum number of UN troops decreased to 13,000, although that number is well short of the current level of troops in Lebanon.But this year saw little opposition from within the Security Council, according to diplomats familiar with the discussions.A few changes were made in some phrases, which the Lebanese side considered counterproductive, the sources told Al Arabiya English.France and Ireland played critical roles in advocating for the renewal.But one noticeable change was the paragraph dealing with temporary and special measures to support the Lebanese Armed Forces with non-lethal material. This support includes fuel, food, medicine, and logistical support.The period for this aid was reduced to six months rather than 12 after opposition from one of the voting members.
Source: Al Arabiya
Full Article: Security Council renews mandate of UN peacekeeping force in Lebanon for another year

Explosion in Beirut suburb leaves four dead, at least two injured

An explosion inside a factory in the locality of Burj al-Barajneh in the southern suburb of Beirut has killed four people on Monday afternoon, according to the National News Agency in Lebanon (NNA).NNA reported that a strong bang was heard in Burj al-Barajneh area. The explosion occurred inside “al-Shami” factory for the manufacture of water heaters.For the latest headlines, follow our Google News channel online or via the app.The agency did not specify the cause of the explosion. Local media reported that a tank exploded when workers were welding it inside the factory.A video clip circulated on social media showed three bloodied bodies lying on the floor in a dark room.The explosion damaged cars parked outside the plant as tanks flew out.Multiple factories and businesses have been stockpiling fuel in residential areas as the crisis-hit country is stil experiencing an unprecedented fuel shortage crisis.Two weeks ago, at least 20 people have been killed and 79 others injured after a fuel tanker exploded in the Tleil area of Lebanon’s Akkar region, according to the Lebanese Red Cross.Footage being shared on social media showed several ambulances transporting burn victims of the blast to hospitals in the district.The Lebanese Red Cross said its teams recovered 20 bodies from the site of the explosion in the northern village of Tleil and evacuated 79 people who were injured or suffered burns in the blast.Read more:Lebanon food poisoning cases spike as energy crisis kills fridgesFuel dispute triggers sectarian clash in Lebanon’s southSecurity Council renews mandate of UN peacekeeping force in Lebanon for another year
Source: Al Arabiya
Full Article: Explosion in Beirut suburb leaves four dead, at least two injured