Hosting the conversation

Middle East Experience

Latest News

At least two dead including child in blast near Kabul airport: Reports

A child was killed in a rocket attack northwest of Kabul airport amid the US evacuation, according to an Afghan police chief.Early reports suggest at least two people have been killed and three injured in the attack, according to Afghan news agency Asvaka.For the latest headlines, follow our Google News channel online or via the app.A security official from the recently deposed government told AFP it was a rocket that “initial information shows hit a house.”The US carried out a military strike on Sunday in Kabul, two US officials told Reuters.The two strikes initially appeared to be separate incidents, though information on both remained scarce.An ISIS-K attack outside Kabul airport on Thursday killed more than 170 people including 13 US military personnel as Afghans queued up attempting to flee Taliban rule.The US retaliated with a drone strike that they say killed two top ISIS-K members.US President Joe Biden warned on Saturday that another attack was highly likely.With agenciesRead more: US military begins withdrawal from Kabul airport: PentagonISIS Kabul airport attack was reputational hit to Taliban, not US: Russian diplomatPentagon identifies US military casualties in Kabul airport attack
Source: Al Arabiya
Full Article: At least two dead including child in blast near Kabul airport: Reports

Four residents arrested by Riyadh police for faking PCR test results

Police in Saudi Arabia’s capital of Riyadh arrested Sunday four residents who forged PCR test certificates, according to a media spokesperson.“The media spokesman for the Riyadh police, Major Khaled al-Kraidis, stated that the security authorities, in coordination with the Ministry of Health, were able to arrest four residents of Bangladeshi nationality, including a woman, who committed the crime of forging the PCR certificate for examining the coronavirus (COVID-19). They were arrested in a residential unit in one of Riyadh’s neighborhoods, and false reports and tools used in the forgery process were seized in their possession,” the Saudi Press Agency reported.For more coronavirus news, visit our dedicated page.Earlier last month, Saudi Arabia arrested more than 120 people suspected of supplying or procuring fraudulent coronavirus vaccine and test certificates right before the annual Hajj pilgrimage. At the time, the state-run SPA news agency said nine health ministry officials are among the accused, who have all pleaded guilty.Read more:
Source: Al Arabiya
Full Article: Four residents arrested by Riyadh police for faking PCR test results

Thieves in Iran’s Tehran attack car, steal COVID-19 shots

The police chief for Iran’s capital says a gang of thieves has robbed scores of COVID-19 vaccines after attacking a hired car carrying the doses, media reported.The robbery comes as Iran, with over 106,000 virus-related deaths, has the highest death toll in the Mideast but only 8 percent of its people are fully vaccinated.Read the latest updates in our dedicated coronavirus section.Tehran police chief Hossein Rahimi said robbers attacked and seized 300 vaccines after a courier service left a Health Ministry medical storage facility south of the capital.He did not say which vaccine was stolen. Iran generally uses the Chinese-made Sinopharm, although it also has used some Russian made Sputnik-V, AstraZeneca and its own domestic CovBarekat vaccine.On Sunday, Iran registered 581 daily deaths and more than 31,000 new cases. Last week on Tuesday, Iran hit a record of 709 patients dying in a single day.The country is struggling through a fifth wave of the disease driven by the highly contagious delta variant.Read more:Iran COVID-19 deaths hit yet another highIran imposes one-week COVID-19 lockdown, travel ban amid virus surgeIran COVID-19 deaths at new daily high as nationwide curbs lifted
Source: Al Arabiya
Full Article: Thieves in Iran’s Tehran attack car, steal COVID-19 shots

Saudi Arabia moving in right direction amid decline in COVID-19 cases: Spokesperson

Saudi Arabia is witnessing a trend in the curve in positive directions regarding confirmed cases of COVID-19 amid a decrease in cases, according to the Kingdom’s Ministry of Health spokesperson.“The curve of confirmed and critical cases is witnessing a positive trend, and the decline in the percentages to the level of 85 percent is promising,” Dr. Muhammad al-Abdulaali said on Sunday during a press conference on the latest COVID-19 developments in Saudi Arabia.For more coronavirus news, visit our dedicated page.“With regard to the pandemic indicators, as you can notice, thank God, the confirmed cases of the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia are witnessing a trend in the curve in very positive directions. We ask God that these positive trends continue, so that we will be in better health and safety,” al-Abdulaali said.During the press conference to discuss the developments of COVID-19 in Saudi Arabia, al-Abdulaali announced that the number of COVID-19 vaccine doses given so far has exceeded 36 million doses.The Ministry of Health announced on Sunday the registration of 208 new cases, six deaths, and 393 cases of those who have recovered from the virus.The Ministry of Health added that the total number of cases of infected people in the Kingdom has reached 54,404 cases so far, and the total number of people recovered has reached 532,126 cases, while the total deaths have reached 8,532 deaths.Read more:
Source: Al Arabiya
Full Article: Saudi Arabia moving in right direction amid decline in COVID-19 cases: Spokesperson

US carried out military strike in Kabul targeting multiple ISIS bombers: Officials

US officials say an American drone strike has hit a vehicle carrying multiple ISIS suicide bombers heading for the Kabul airport.For the latest headlines, follow our Google News channel online or via the app.A military official said the strike on Sunday caused “significant secondary explosions” indicating the presence of a substantial amount of explosive material in the vehicle.The incident happened as police said a rocket struck a neighborhood just northwest of Kabul’s international airport Sunday as the US evacuation there winds down following the Taliban’s lightning takeover of the country, killing a child.The two strikes initially appeared to be separate incidents, though information on both remained scarce.Read more: At least two dead including child in blast near Kabul airport: ReportsUS military begins withdrawal from Kabul airport: PentagonISIS Kabul airport attack was reputational hit to Taliban, not US: Russian diplomat
Source: Al Arabiya
Full Article: US carried out military strike in Kabul targeting multiple ISIS bombers: Officials