Hosting the conversation

Middle East Experience

Latest News

Afghan refugee explains why he tweeted photo of tiny meal after receiving backlash

Hamed Ahmadi, an Afghan refugee in El Paso, Texas, posted a photo of his tiny meal on Twitter, saying that “refugee life might be safe” but that it is never easy and favorable. Shortly after he began receiving backlash.“It’s better than a lot of the meals I ate while spending 18 months in your country doing what you wouldn’t,” one person replied.For the latest headlines, follow our Google News channel online or via the app.When Ahmadi posted the photo, which showed two small pieces of chicken and some fruit, he didn’t expect some of the negative comments he received.“Not complaining but this is what I got last night for dinner and the next meal is 12 hours later,” he said in the tweet.The 28-year-old told The Independent that the point of his tweet wasn’t to complain about conditions for refugees or to criticize, but to describe the situation of Afghan refugees. A situation they never wanted to be in, he added.“I had a pretty good job back in Kabul. I had a decent life. I had my family,” Ahmadi, a blogger and writer, said.“I was forced to flee Afghanistan, he said, adding that he wanted to show what refugee life was like.Another person replied to his tweet saying, “I hope you enjoyed your free plane ride, meals, and lodging paid from many of our paychecks (aka taxes).”“So, we rescued you from Afghanistan and are giving you food that the taxpayers are paying for and you have the nerve to complain?” Lavern Spicer, a Florida Republican candidate, replied to Ahmadi’s tweet.“Imagine what the Taliban would be serving up,” another person said.Not all the replies were negative. Some people said they sympathized for refugees coming to America.“My heart goes out to all the Afghanis who had to leave their country and family. It’s never easy leaving your motherland behind,” one woman replied.Another person said that “there is no pleasure being a refugee,” adding that it’s a “hard and painful life.”Ahmadi did not want to leave his country and family, he told The Independent. But his social media presence as a blogger working with foreign NGOs, would leave him at risk in Afghanistan after the Taliban took control of it.“I had a lot of pictures doing jobs with Americans, with Germans, so I was kind of in danger – because you cannot trust the Taliban,” he told the British newspaper.Last week, the UN High Commissioner for Refugees said that up to 500,000 Afghans could flee by year-end, reiterating a call for borders to remain open and for more countries to share “this humanitarian responsibility” with Iran and Pakistan which already host 2.2 million Afghans.Read more:‘Far greater humanitarian crisis’ looms in Afghanistan: UNHCRAfghanistan situation could be catalyst for common EU migration policy: CommissionerUS looking at ways to evacuate stranded Americans, Afghans in Kabul: Senior official
Source: Al Arabiya
Full Article: Afghan refugee explains why he tweeted photo of tiny meal after receiving backlash

Bus overturns on Egypt highway, killing at least 12

A bus overturned on a highway linking the Egyptian capital with a Suez Canal city, killing at least 12 people and injuring 30 others, the country’s state-run news agency reported Sunday.The accident took place late Saturday on the Cairo-Suez desert road near the city of Suez, the MENA news agency reported.For all the latest headlines follow our Google News channel online or via the app.The report said the bus was heading to Cairo from the Red Sea resort of Sharm el-Sheikh when it hit a concrete barrier and overturned.Traffic accidents kill thousands of people every year in Egypt, which has a poor transportation safety record. Crashes are mostly caused by speeding, bad roads and poor enforcement of traffic laws.The country’s official statistics agency says around 10,000 road accidents took place in 2019, the most recent year for which statistics are available. They led to more than 3,480 dead. In 2018, there were 8,480 car accidents, causing over 3,080 deaths.Read more:At least four dead in Egypt building collapse: Security source Train derails in fourth Egypt railway accident in five weeks
Source: Al Arabiya
Full Article: Bus overturns on Egypt highway, killing at least 12