Nour Emam has launched an initiative to raise awareness on sexual education and reproductive health in Egypt at a time when sexual culture in Egypt and other Arab countries remains limited.
Source: Al Monitor
Full Article: Egyptian activist tackles sex education despite taboo
As reconstruction nears, Gaza fears donors won’t deliver on promises
The Ministry of Public Works and Housing in the Gaza Strip announced that the reconstruction process will kick off early next month, but fears remain that donor countries won't deliver on their promises.
Source: Al Monitor
Full Article: As reconstruction nears, Gaza fears donors won’t deliver on promises
Northwest Syria closes schools, markets to slow virus spread
The Salvation Government affiliated with Hayat Tahrir al-Sham in Syria’s Idlib province closed schools and popular markets amid the outbreak of the coronavirus.
Source: Al Monitor
Full Article: Northwest Syria closes schools, markets to slow virus spread
Syrian government eyes control of key highway in northwest
Increased military movements by government forces and Russia near the Idlib fronts and the strategic M4 highway indicate that the battle against the Turkey-supported opposition may be drawing near.
Source: Al Monitor
Full Article: Syrian government eyes control of key highway in northwest
Police arrests 29 men in India, accused of repeatedly gang-raping 15-year-old girl
Twenty-nine men were arrested in India on Thursday after being accused of allegedly gang raping a 15-year-old girl repeatedly over the course of almost eight months, CNN reported on Friday. The girl was first raped earlier this year on January 29, junior officer with the Mandapa police in Dombivli, India Dinkar Munke told CNN. For the latest headlines, follow our Google News channel online or via the app.The rape was filmed, and the video was then used as blackmail. She was repeatedly threatened with it for eight months, Munke said. The abuse, which lasted until last week, reportedly involved 33 perpetrators, including two teenagers, all of whom who partook in the rape of the 15-year-old victim.Her family, who had no previous knowledge on the matter, found out and went straight to the police on Wednesday to file a complaint. The 29 perpetrators were arrested both under the country’s penal code and under the Protection of Children from Sexual Offences (POSCO) law, resulting in more severe sentences. “We are investigating the allegations and how the initial contact came about. But the girl knew some of the men and had come in contact with a few through social media,” the senior police official heading the investigation, Sonali Dhole, said. He added that the victim was taken to multiple locations within Dombivli, a city which neighbors Mumbai in Maharashtra state, and outside. The incident is the latest in a series of rape cases and controversies in the country. Two weeks ago, a woman who was allegedly raped in Mumbai died of the injuries inflicted on her by her abusers. She was found lying unconscious in a minibus. Activists have said that the case was similar to the brutal 2012 gang-rape and murder of a student which prompted mass protests across the entire country. Another gruesome rape case in India took place last month, when a nine-year-old girl was gang-raped and murdered in Delhi to which four men, including a Hindu priest, were charged for their involvement in her death. There has been an increase in reported cases over the years. More than 32,000 rape cases were recorded in 2019, up from 25,000 in 2021, according to the CNN. However, the number could be much higher in reality since many cases go unreported.Read more:Man arrested for sexually harassing female during Saudi National Day celebrationsUK police probe killing of 28-year-old woman walking alone in LondonFour charged with rape, murder of nine-year-old Indian girl
Source: Al Arabiya
Full Article: Police arrests 29 men in India, accused of repeatedly gang-raping 15-year-old girl
Surgical patients who had COVID-19 more likely to develop fatal blood clots: Study
Surgical patients who recently contracted a COVID-19 infection are at a higher risk of developing fatal blood clots after surgery, a new study finds. The global study, conducted by the University of Birmingham and involved 12 hospitals based in the United Arab Emirates, found that patients diagnosed with a current or previous coronavirus infection were more likely to develop postoperative venous thromboembolism (VTE) than those with no history of an infection. For more coronavirus news, visit our dedicated page.The research also involved data from 26 hospitals in Saudi Arabia, seven in Kuwait, four in Bahrain, three in Qatar and two in Oman. “The findings of this new global study, in which the GCC region has played a key role, will help us to understand the impact of COVID-19 and arm us in our collective fight against the pandemic,” said Hayder Saleh Abdulhadi Alsaadi, Adjunctive Clinical Associated Professor at Dubai Medical University and Consultant Orthopaedic, Trauma Surgeon at Rashid Hospital in Dubai.After collecting and analyzing the data, the researchers found that VTE was independently associated with 30-day mortality, increasing the risk of death by five times within 30 days after surgery in previously infected patients. Patients hospitalized with COVID-19 have previously been shown to be at a high risk of VTE, between 9 percent and 26 percent, despite the use of preventative drugs, and as high as 31 percent in patients within critical care settings. This study confirms an increased risk in patients hospitalized for surgery as well.The team is urging surgeons around the world to be on the lookout for VTE by following routine measures to help prevent the condition from occurring. They can be prevented by using the appropriate drugs when bleeding risk is minimal and by lowering the threshold for diagnostic testing in patients exhibiting signs of VTE.“Routine postoperative care of surgical patients should include interventions to reduce VTE risk in general, and further research is needed to define the optimal protocols for VTE prevention and treatment for surgical patients in the setting of SARS-CoV-2 infection,” the university statement read. “People undergoing surgery are already at higher risk of VTE than the general public, but we discovered that a current or recent SARS-CoV-2 infection was associated with greater risk of postoperative VTE,” said one of the study’s co-authors Elizabeth Li, clinical research fellow at the University of Birmingham.“Most surgical patients have risk factors for VTE, including immobility, surgical wounds and systematic inflammation; the addition of SARS-CoV-2 infection may further increase this risk,” she added.The team examined data from adult patients aged 18 and above who were undergoing elective or emergency surgery. “The impact of surgery on coagulation and early reports of increased risk of VTE in COVID-19 patients means there is a need to define VTE risk specifically in patients undergoing surgery. This will help clinicians and policymakers around the world construct future systems of identifying and minimising VTE risk in surgical patients with active or prior SARS-CoV-2 infection,” said co-author Mr. Aneel Bhangu, also from the university.“Routine postoperative care of surgical patients should include interventions to reduce VTE risk in general, but further research is needed to define the best protocols for VTE prevention and treatment in this setting.”Read more:France to double COVID-19 vaccine doses for poorer countries: Macron‘Too stressed to cook’: 1 in 5 US parents say kids eating more junk since pandemicProfiling COVID-19 mutations help scientists find weak spots: Study
Source: Al Arabiya
Full Article: Surgical patients who had COVID-19 more likely to develop fatal blood clots: Study
Dubai’s non-oil foreign trade up 31 pct in H1 2021: Dubai Media Office
Dubai’s non-oil foreign trade is up 31 percent in the first half of 2021 to USD196.6 billion, according to Dubai Media Office.For the latest headlines, follow our Google News channel online or via the app.Exports grew 45 percent year on year (YoY) in H1 2021 to USD29.89 billion from USD20.64 billion.Imports rose by 29.3 percent YoY to USD112.71 billion from USD87.12 billion. Re-exports grew 28.3 percent YoY to USD54 from USD42.“This marked growth in trade demonstrates the success of Dubai’s strategic plan to consolidate its position as a global logistics and trade hub that connects the world’s diverse markets,” said Dubai’s Crown Prince Hamdan bin Mohammed in a statement.“Dubai’s existing sea and air network will be expanded to cover 200 new cities around the world. We are confident that we will continue to build on our growth momentum to achieve our ambitious sustainable development projects and plans,” he added.With ReutersRead more: UAE economy to grow 2.1 percent this year: Central bankExpo 2020 Dubai to create far-reaching economic benefits for the region: Cisco MDUAE announces plans to invest billions in economy, ease visa rules for expats
Source: Al Arabiya
Full Article: Dubai’s non-oil foreign trade up 31 pct in H1 2021: Dubai Media Office
IPL 2021: Royals sense an opportunity against fragile Sunrisers
Sanju Samson’s team are still in with a chance to make the playoffs..
Source: Albawaba
Full Article: IPL 2021: Royals sense an opportunity against fragile Sunrisers
New Cabinet faces test on seriousness over reform pledges
Lebanon’s new Cabinet is set to face its first test of credibility when it meets this week to prove its seriousness over pledges to enact essential reforms in order to persuade the international community to come forth with its promised aid to the crises and debt-ridden country..
Source: Albawaba
Full Article: New Cabinet faces test on seriousness over reform pledges
New book reveals skills needed to navigate future hybrid workplace
‘Life’s Non Conformities’ explains the key to developing emotional intelligence..
Source: Albawaba
Full Article: New book reveals skills needed to navigate future hybrid workplace