Hosting the conversation

Middle East Experience

Latest News

France tells US resolution of submarine crisis will take ‘time’ and ‘action’

The way to resolve the crisis between France and the US will take “time” and “action”, French Foreign Minister Jean-Yves Le Drian told American counterpart Antony Blinken on Thursday.Le Drian and Blinken discussed how to restore confidence between the two countries, according to a statement by the French foreign ministry.For the latest headlines, follow our Google News channel online or via the app.Le Drian said the first step had been taken when US President Joe Biden called his French counterpart Emmanuel Macron to discuss the recent developments.The two diplomats agreed to remain in close contact to continue working on resolving the crisis.The US and Britain announced on September 15 a new Indo-Pacific security alliance that will equip Australia with nuclear-powered submarines, which is widely seen as a move to counter China’s growing influence in the region.Australia then scrapped a 2016 multi-billion-dollar contract with France to build 12 conventional diesel-electric submarines.The announcement enraged Paris that accused the Washington of “duplicity”, and Canberra of “betrayal” and declared that a crisis struck at the heart of Western alliances.France recalled its ambassadors to US and Australia.Read more:France declares ‘crisis of trust’ with US after Australia submarine dealEU Chief blasts US ‘lack of loyalty’ after Australia submarine deal enrages FranceUS will not back out of Australia submarine deal, Biden to speak with Macron soon: WHEU Chief says France’s treatment in Australia, US, UK submarine deal ‘unacceptable’
Source: Al Arabiya
Full Article: France tells US resolution of submarine crisis will take ‘time’ and ‘action’

US worried over Iran nuclear deal ‘Plan B’; Tehran has provided no positive signs

Iran has not given any positive indications that it is ready to resume talks on the now-defunct nuclear deal, a senior US official said Thursday, adding that Washington was worried about “Plan B” where Tehran would push ahead with its nuclear program.Repeating what Biden administration officials have said for nine months that the US was ready to continue waiting for Iran to decide on the fate of the talks, the official warned that a time would come when the US will no longer have an interest in the existing deal.For the latest headlines, follow our Google News channel online or via the app.Nevertheless, the official refused to set a deadline. The official, speaking on condition of anonymity, added that Iran’s new government has not announced whether they will resume talks where their predecessors and the US delegation left off in June.Despite the warnings issued Thursday, the official said the window was still open and that Washington was ready to continue being “patient.”Read more: Iran FM expressed ‘very clear intent’ to return to nuclear talks: Ireland FM
Source: Al Arabiya
Full Article: US worried over Iran nuclear deal ‘Plan B’; Tehran has provided no positive signs