Hosting the conversation

Middle East Experience

Latest News

Bennett spokesman accuses Iran of planning attacks against Israelis living in Cyprus

Israel accused Iran on Monday of orchestrating an attempted attack against Israelis in Cyprus after police on the island said an armed individual had been arrested.For the latest headlines, follow our Google News channel online or via the app.“This was a terrorist incident directed by Iran against Israeli businesspeople living in Cyprus,” Matan Sidi, spokesman for Israeli Prime Minister Naftali Bennett, said in a statement.“A person has been arrested, in whose possession a pistol and cartridges were found.” Cypriot police chief Stelios Papatheodorou told reporters earlier on Monday. “It is a sensitive case, which is why a remand request was held behind closed doors," Papatheodorou added.In his statement, Sidi denied local media reports on Sunday that described the arrest as having thwarted a criminally-motivated assassination attempt against an Israeli magnate.Read more:Iran to launch Arak nuclear research reactor ‘within a year’Jordan says ‘distorted’ claims in ‘Pandora Papers’ are security threatShah Rukh Khan’s son Aryan arrested in drug bust: Reports
Source: Al Arabiya
Full Article: Bennett spokesman accuses Iran of planning attacks against Israelis living in Cyprus

Shaheen storm update: Abu Dhabi resumes schools, construction, COVID testing

Following the weakening of tropical storm Shaheen in Abu Dhabi’s al-Ain region, the government announced the resumption of in-person learning, construction work and COVID-19 testing.For the latest headlines, follow our Google News channel online or via the app.“Following a weakening of tropical situation Shaheen in al-Ain, educational institutions will return to physical learning, construction work will resume, COVID-19 testing and vaccination tents in al-Ain will reopen, and access to Jebel Hafeet will reopen,” the statement posted to Twitter by Abu Dhabi’s Media Office read.“Authorities continue to closely monitor weather conditions and evaluate relevant measures and decisions. The public is urged to follow updates from official sources,” it added.Read more: Distance learning makes a comeback in parts of UAE amid Shaheen tropical stormThe tropical Shaheen storm situation prompted many cities in the Gulf region to reinstate distance learning until the impact of the storm subsided.“Due to the fluctuation of weather conditions in the city of al-Ain, distance education will be activated in all educational institutions in the city on Monday October 4 and Tuesday October 5, 2021,” Abu Dhabi’s Media Office said in a Twitter post on Sunday afternoon.Construction work was also put on hold in al-Ain on Sunday due to the circumstances.Early Monday, the UAE’s National Center of Meteorology released a statement confirming the weakening of the tropical storm.The center added that the sea remained very turbulent and that the waves ranged between eight to nine feet in depth in the Sea of Oman. It reached five feet on the UAE’s eastern coast and is expected to be turbulent in the Gulf Sea, with waves reaching around five to seven feet.It also indicated that moderate clouds would appear over al-Ain and the south of the country, accompanied by light to medium rain which is set to gradually decrease through the evening.Read more:How did Oman’s tropical storm ‘Shaheen’ get its name?Storm update: Shaheen weakens in Abu Dhabi’s al-Ain regionShaheen storm: Rescue teams continue search for missing victim
Source: Al Arabiya
Full Article: Shaheen storm update: Abu Dhabi resumes schools, construction, COVID testing

Berlin’s Human Rights Film Festival: “Yemen’s Banksy” – Murad Subay creates art against war

Yemen remains the world's worst humanitarian crisis, say humanitarian organisations. At the recent Human Rights Film Festival in Berlin, street artist Murad Subay commented on the horrors of war. Elizabeth Grenier reports..
Source: Albawaba
Full Article: Berlin’s Human Rights Film Festival: “Yemen’s Banksy” – Murad Subay creates art against war