Hosting the conversation

Middle East Experience

Latest News

UN nuclear chief to visit Tehran next Monday: Iran atomic agency

The head of the UN nuclear watchdog will visit Tehran Monday to discuss Iran’s nuclear program, the spokesman for Iran’s atomic agency said, as several key dates approach.International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) chief Rafael Grossi had expressed concern on November 12 over lack of contact with the Iranian government, describing it as “astonishing.”For the latest headlines, follow our Google News channel online or via the app.He said he had hoped to meet Iranian officials ahead of the next meeting of the IAEA’s Board of Governors, which was scheduled for November 22.Iran responded three days later by inviting the UN nuclear chief to Tehran.The head of the agency “will arrive on the evening of Monday, November 22 in Tehran”, Iran’s atomic agency spokesman told Fars news agency Wednesday.Grossi will meet Foreign Minister Hossein Amir-Abdollahian and the head of Iran’s atomic agency, Mohamed Eslami, the spokesman added.Grossi’s last visit to Tehran was in September, when he said he had “technical discussions” with Eslami.He clinched a deal on access to surveillance equipment at Iran’s nuclear facilities but had hoped to return to the country soon for more detailed discussions.Grossi’s visit comes ahead of the resumption on November 29 of nuclear talks in Vienna, stalled since June. The talks aim to restore a 2015 deal that offered Tehran relief from sanctions in exchange for major curbs on its nuclear activities.The US unilaterally pulled out of the deal in 2018 under the administration of president Donald Trump, but talks to revive it began earlier this year.President Ebrahim Raisi said Iran is “absolutely serious” about the nuclear talks, in a phone call Tuesday with his Russian counterpart Vladimir Putin.The Vienna talks will be attended by the remaining parties to the deal – Britain, China, France, Germany and Russia – while the US will participate in negotiations indirectly.Read more:Iran ‘absolutely serious’ about nuclear talks, Raisi tells PutinLack of contact from Iran govt ‘astonishing’: UN nuclear watchdogUAE working to de-escalate tensions with Iran, no interest in confrontation: GargashTop US lawmakers lambaste Iran-backed Houthis after detaining of Embassy staff
Source: Al Arabiya
Full Article: UN nuclear chief to visit Tehran next Monday: Iran atomic agency

Tear gas fired on Sudan protesters causing casualties: Witnesses

Security forces have fired tear gas on Sudan protesters causing casualties, according to an AFP report citing eyewitness accounts.Mobile phone lines inside Sudan were cut ahead of the latest round of anti-military protests planned on Wednesday in the capital Khartoum, according to a Reuters witness.For the latest headlines, follow our Google News channel online or via the app.Mobile internet connections in Sudan have been suspended since a military takeover on Oct. 25, despite a judge issuing several orders to restore them.No to military rule" and "the people choose civilian rule", demonstrators chanted, as well as slogans against Sudan's ruler, top general Abdel Fattah al-Burhan.During protests on November 14, six people were killed and the chief of Qatari network Al Jazeera's bureau in Khartoum was arrested before being released two days later.The renewed protests came as US Secretary of State Antony Blinken urged Africans to watch out for rising threats to democracy as he began a three-nation tour of the continent in Kenya."We have seen over the last decade or so what some call a democratic recession," Blinken said in Nairobi.Blinken told Sudan's military the country stood to regain badly-needed international aid if it restores the "legitimacy" of civilian government."It's vital that the transition regain the legitimacy that it had," he said.Read more:US diplomat meets Sudan’s ousted PM Hamdok to discuss restoring transitionSudan’s protest death toll rises to eight: MedicsGeneral Burhan’s moves make return to Sudan’s constitution harder: UNSudan’s Burhan names council to steer transition after coup: State TV
Source: Al Arabiya
Full Article: Tear gas fired on Sudan protesters causing casualties: Witnesses

Iran still denying inspectors ‘essential’ access to workshop: IAEA report

The UN nuclear watchdog has still not had access to re-install surveillance cameras at the TESA Karaj centrifuge-parts workshop in Iran, though that is essential to reviving the Iran nuclear deal, the agency said in a report on Wednesday.International Atomic Energy Agency inspectors have also continued to be “subjected to excessively invasive physical searches by security officials at nuclear facilities in Iran”, a second quarterly report issued on Wednesday said, after diplomats said such incidents had happened at the Natanz nuclear site.For the latest headlines, follow our Google News channel online or via the app.The Wall Street Journal reported on Tuesday that production resumed months ago at the workshop, which was hit by apparent sabotage in June.One of four International Atomic Energy Agency cameras there was destroyed in the attack and Iran subsequently removed the rest.Iran has blamed Israel for the sabotage.Read more:UN nuclear chief to visit Tehran next Monday: Iran atomic agencyIran ‘absolutely serious’ about nuclear talks, Raisi tells PutinLack of contact from Iran govt ‘astonishing’: UN nuclear watchdogUAE working to de-escalate tensions with Iran, no interest in confrontation: Gargash
Source: Al Arabiya
Full Article: Iran still denying inspectors ‘essential’ access to workshop: IAEA report

Egypt: Quash sentences against opposition politicians

Responding to the sentencing of six Egyptians, including politicians Zyad el-Elaimy, Hossam Moanis and Hisham Fouad, to between three and five years in prison following an unfair trial by an emergency court simply for criticizing Egypt’s human rights record, economic policy and living standards, Philip Luther, Amnesty International’s Middle East and North Africa Research and ..
Source: Albawaba
Full Article: Egypt: Quash sentences against opposition politicians

Iran is leading state sponsor of terrorism, ISIS remains a threat to US: Official

Iran is the leading world sponsor of terrorism, and Washington is urging more governments to designate Lebanon’s Hezbollah as a terrorist organization, a US State Department official said Wednesday.The acting principal deputy coordinator for the Bureau of Counterterrorism, Chris Landberg, also said that ISIS was still growing and remained a “pervasive threat to the United States.”For the latest headlines, follow our Google News channel online or via the app.“ISIS’s global presence continues to grow despite the complete liberation of territory it once controlled in Iraq and Syria,” Landberg told lawmakers during a subcommittee hearing on counterterrorism efforts.“Terrorist groups remain a persistent and pervasive threat to the United States, allies, and interests abroad. ISIS, [al-Qaeda], and their affiliates have proven to be resilient and determined, despite the significant progress we have made in degrading their ability to directly threaten the US homeland,” he said.Multiple lawmakers raised the issue of Iran and its proxies across the world.Landberg said the Counterterrorism Bureau had spearheaded a diplomatic campaign against Hezbollah, “urging governments to take steps to recognize the group in its entirety as a terrorist organization and to restrict its activities in their countries.”He said these efforts were proving productive, citing 14 countries from Europe, South and Central America in recent years that sanctioned, banned, or restricted Hezbollah from operating in their countries.“Iran has been funding and arming its proxies – including with sophisticated technology – and enabling attacks across the region,” he said during his opening remarks.Landberg said that other Iran-backed groups in Syria, Iraq, and Yemen continue to carry out dangerous and destabilizing activity in the Middle East and the world.Read more: UN sanctions three Houthi militants over Marib offensive
Source: Al Arabiya
Full Article: Iran is leading state sponsor of terrorism, ISIS remains a threat to US: Official

UAE, Israel to jointly design unmanned military, commercial vessels

United Arab Emirate's state-owned defense conglomerate EDGE and Israeli state-owned aerospace firm IAI on Thursday signed an agreement to jointly design unmanned military and commercial vessels.A joint statement said the “17 M” unmanned surface vessels would be designed to carrying out security operations, mine sweeping and surveillance, among other capabilities.For all the latest headlines follow our Google News channel online or via the app.“Comprising advanced sensors, sonars and imaging systems that are integrated into a unified command and control system, the USV can operate either remotely, semi-autonomously or autonomously, requiring no human intervention,” the statement said.Faisal Al Bannai, CEO and Managing Director of EDGE Group, said: “It is an important milestone for EDGE to forge collaborations with leading defence players such as IAI to strengthen our advanced technology portfolio.”He added: “Through this strategic alliance, we can ensure optimal autonomous operational solutions that minimise risk to human life, address key challenges for various industries, and enable a secure future for all. These developments will open many doors for us in local and global markets, military and commercial alike.”The UAE and Israel established diplomatic ties last year in a deal brokered by the US.Read more:Israel, UAE, Jordan to sign US-backed water-for-energy pactExpo 2020 Dubai: Israel interfaith delegation to UAE attends tolerance eventUS intends to ‘move forward’ with UAE deal for F-35 jets: Official
Source: Al Arabiya
Full Article: UAE, Israel to jointly design unmanned military, commercial vessels