Hosting the conversation

Middle East Experience

Latest News

World powers aim to sanction Libya election spoilers

World powers will push for sanctions against anyone who disrupts Libya’s electoral process and political transition, they agreed at a conference on Friday in Paris.The meeting, which included the leaders of France, Libya, Germany, Italy and Egypt, as well as the U.S. vice president, was to cement backing for the planned vote on Dec. 24 and efforts to remove foreign forces.For the latest headlines, follow our Google News channel online or via the app.The elections are envisaged as a key moment in a UN-backed peace process to end a decade of violent chaos that has drawn in regional powers and undermined Mediterranean stability since the 2011 NATO-backed uprising against Muammar Gaddafi.The votes for a new president and parliament are still in doubt with six weeks to go amid disputes between rival eastern and western Libyan factions and political bodies over the rules underpinning the electoral schedule and who can run.The wrangling threatens to unravel the wider peace process, which also includes efforts to unify long-divided state institutions and to pull out foreign mercenaries who remain entrenched along frontlines despite a ceasefire.Powers in Paris decided “that individuals or entities, inside or outside of Libya, who might attempt to obstruct, undermine, manipulate or falsify the electoral process and the political transition” could face sanctions.UN Secretary General Antonio Guterres in a video message to the conference warned that “any party that deliberately undermines or sabotages peace must be held accountable.”The UN Security Council has previously agreed sanctions against Libyan political figures for their role in the conflict.However Russia has only sent lower-level representatives to Paris, raising questions over its backing of positions agreed there.Amid disputes over the polling date, the powers said they backed a vote “starting on Dec. 24” with the results of the presidential and parliamentary elections to be announced simultaneously. The UN roadmap had called for both votes to be held on Dec. 24.InclusiveThe foreign powers want an “inclusive” election - a stance that would likely allow all potential candidates including divisive figures seen as unacceptable in large swathes of Libya as well as serving officials to run.A French presidential official told reporters at a briefing some actors were ready to seize on any ambiguities to advance their own interests.“They are obviously waiting to ambush and try to derail the electoral process,” the official said.Paris initially aiming to have the Turkish and Russian heads of state attending, but Ankara has joined Moscow in sending lower level representatives, perhaps demonstrating the complications with removing foreign forces.Ankara voiced reservations over language in the final statement regarding the departure of foreign forces. It has long stressed a difference between the presence of its troops in Libya that were invited by a UN-recognized government and those imported by other factions.Mercenaries from Russia’s Wagner Group are entrenched alongside the eastern-based Libyan National Army (LNA), which was supported in the war by Moscow, along with the United Arab Emirates and Egypt.The former Tripoli government had support from Turkish regular forces in Libya as advisers, and from allied Syrian fighters, the Turkish government has said.Diplomats have said Turkey was unlikely to act before there were departures from the east.Read more:Libya’s PM Dbeibah to run for president, as election turmoil growsLibya opens registration for election hopefulsLibya conference communique calls for steps to enable Dec. 24 elections
Source: Al Arabiya
Full Article: World powers aim to sanction Libya election spoilers

Iran’s jockeying for ‘maximalist demands’ in nuclear talks may backfire

Iran will adopt an uncompromising stance when it resumes nuclear talks with major powers, betting it has the leverage to win wide sanctions relief in return for curbs on its increasingly advanced atomic technology, officials and analysts say..
Source: Albawaba
Full Article: Iran’s jockeying for ‘maximalist demands’ in nuclear talks may backfire

Western countries express concern over new transitional council in Sudan

Western powers including the United States, Britain and the European Union expressed concern on Friday at the military’s creation of a new transitional council headed by the army chief, and called for a return to a civilian-led transitional government.The statement condemned the “purported appointment of Sudan’s Sovereign Council in violation of the 2019 constitutional declaration.”For the latest headlines, follow our Google News channel online or via the app.“This unilateral action by the military undermines its commitment to uphold the agreed transitional framework,” the troika said in a joint statement issued with Norway and Switzerland.They also called for the immediate restoration of Prime Minister Abdalla Hamdok and the civilian-led transitional government.Read more:General Burhan’s moves make return to Sudan’s constitution harder: UNProtests erupt in Sudan’s capital after announcement of ruling councilSudan’s army says government formation ‘imminent’ after military takeover
Source: Al Arabiya
Full Article: Western countries express concern over new transitional council in Sudan

Qatar to represent US interests in Afghanistan: Official

The United States and Qatar have agreed that Qatar will represent the diplomatic interests of the United States in Afghanistan, a senior US official told Reuters, an important signal of potential direct engagement between Washington and Kabul in the future after two decades of war.Qatar will sign an arrangement with the United States on Friday to assume the role of “protecting power” for US interests to help facilitate any formal communication between Washington and the Taliban government in Afghanistan, which the United States does not recognize.For the latest headlines, follow our Google News channel online or via the app.The move comes at a time when the United States and other Western countries are grappling with how to engage with the Taliban after the hardline group took over Afghanistan in a lightning advance in August as US-led forces were withdrawing after two decades of war.Many countries including the United States and European states are reluctant to formally recognize the Taliban as critics say they are backtracking on pledges of political and ethnic inclusivity and not to sideline women and minorities.But with winter approaching, many countries realize they need to engage more to prevent the deeply impoverished country from plunging into a humanitarian catastrophe.US Secretary of State Antony Blinken will announce the deal with his Qatari counterpart Mohammed bin Abdulrahman Al-Thani at a news conference after their meeting on Friday.According to the arrangement, which will come into effect on Dec. 31, Qatar will dedicate certain staff from its embassy in Afghanistan to a US Interests Section and will coordinate closely with US State Department and with US mission in Doha.The US official said the United States would also continue its engagement with the Taliban through the Qatari capital, Doha, where the Taliban have maintained a political office for years.“As our protecting power, Qatar will assist the United States in providing limited consular services to our citizens and in protecting US interests in Afghanistan,” said the senior State Department official, who spoke about the sensitive matter on the condition of anonymity.Consular assistance may include accepting passport applications, offering notarial services fordocumentation, providing information, and helping in emergencies, the US official said.The US Interests Section will operate out of certain facilities on the compound in Kabul used by the US Embassy prior to the suspension of operations, the State Department official said, adding that Qatar would monitor the properties on the compound and conduct security patrols.Millions of Afghans face growing hunger amid soaring food prices, a drought and an economy in freefall, fueled by a hard cash shortage, sanctions on Taliban leaders and the suspension of much financial aid.The Taliban victory in August saw the billions of dollars in foreign aid that had kept the economy afloat abruptly switched off, with more than $9 billion in central bank reserves frozen outside the country.In a separate agreement, Qatar will continue to temporarily host up to 8,000 at-risk Afghans who have applied for special immigrant visas (SIV) and their eligible family members, the US official said.“SIV applicants will be housed at Camp As Sayliyah and al-Udeid Air Base,” the official said.The two decades-long US occupation of Afghanistan culminated in a hastily organized airlift in August in which more than 124,000 civilians, including Americans, Afghans and others, were evacuated as the Taliban took over. But thousands of US-allied Afghans at risk of Taliban persecution were left behind.Read more:Qatar's Emir discusses Afghanistan with US Secretaries of state, defenseTaliban says met with US envoy in Qatar amid mounting violence in AfghanistanUS top officials begin ‘thank you’ tour to Gulf, Germany after Afghanistan pullout
Source: Al Arabiya
Full Article: Qatar to represent US interests in Afghanistan: Official