Hosting the conversation

Middle East Experience

Latest News

Norwegian journalist arrested for assault in Qatar days after reporters detained for trespassing – Doha News | Qatar

A third journalist was arrested for assaulting a member of the public. A third Norwegian journalist has been arrested in Doha after assaulting a member of the public, as a top Qatari official responded to statements by Norway over an earlier incident that involved two other reporters. Havard Melnaes, known for penning critical pieces on ..
Source: Albawaba
Full Article: Norwegian journalist arrested for assault in Qatar days after reporters detained for trespassing – Doha News | Qatar

Arab Coalition carries out strikes in Yemeni capital Sanaa

The Arab Coalition fighting in Yemen said on Sunday it had launched air strikes on “legitimate” military targets in the Yemeni capital, Sanaa, as “an immediate response” to the threat and the launch of drones from Sanaa airport.The Arab Coalition also announced earlier on Sunday that it had carried out strikes on 15 targets against the Iran-backed Houthis in Marib and al-Jawf.For the latest headlines, follow our Google News channel online or via the app.The coalition confirmed it had destroyed nine military vehicles and killed 110 Houthis during Sunday’s operations.A day earlier, the coalition said it had surveilled “hostile movements and activities” of the Houthi militia at Sanaa International Airport.Read more:Arab Coalition releases details on latest air strike on Yemen Houthi military campsArab Coalition conducts air strikes on Houthi military camps, targets in SanaaArab coalition bombs drone sites in Yemen’s Sanaa: Report
Source: Al Arabiya
Full Article: Arab Coalition carries out strikes in Yemeni capital Sanaa

First Saudi female racer appointed ambassador for F1 GP

Saudi Arabia’s first female racing driver Reema Juffali has been appointed an ambassador for the country’s inaugural Formula One Grand Prix in Jeddah this week, organizers said on Monday.For the latest headlines, follow our Google News channel online or via the app.The 29-year-old, who competed in the British Formula Three championship this year, will be one of the first to drive a lap of the street circuit along the shores of the Red Sea.She will also take part in a track shakedown of a 1979 Williams Formula One car, which carried sponsorship for national airline Saudia.“I’m really looking forward to taking part in the activities over the race weekend and I hope that my story and journey can provide some inspiration to anyone thinking of following their dream,” she said in a statement.Saudi Arabia lifted a ban on women driving in 2018 and Juffali became the first Saudi female license holder to compete in a series that same year.Sunday’s Formula One race will be the third of four in the Middle East this season and could also be a title decider.Red Bull’s Max Verstappen leads Mercedes’ seven times world champion Lewis Hamilton by eight points ahead of the penultimate round.Read more: More tickets on sale for Saudi Arabia’s F1 Grand Prix after capacity increaseEgyptian star Mohamed Hamaki to perform at F1 post-race concert in Saudi ArabiaRaikkonen tests positive for COVID-19, Kubica to race for Alfa Romeo
Source: Al Arabiya
Full Article: First Saudi female racer appointed ambassador for F1 GP

Erdogan says also plans steps with Egypt, Israel after UAE visit

President Tayyip Erdogan said Turkey would take steps to improve ties with estranged rivals Egypt and Israel similar to those in recent weeks with the United Arab Emirates, which led to investments, NTV and other broadcasters said.Ankara and Abu Dhabi signed accords for billions of dollars of investments last week and Erdogan said they would herald a “new era” in ties.For the latest headlines, follow our Google News channel online or via the app.As part of a charm offensive launched last year, Turkey has also moved to repair ties with Egypt and Saudi Arabia but those talks have yielded little public improvement.Earlier this month, Erdogan also held a rare phone call with Israeli Prime Minister Naftali Bennett after Turkey’s release of a detained Israeli couple.“They (UAE) put up a $10 billion investment plan. By putting this $10 billion into place, we will have built a very different future,” Erdogan was cited as telling reporters on a flight back from Turkmenistan, adding he would visit the UAE in February.“Whatever kind of step was taken with the UAE, we will also take similar ones with the others (Israel and Egypt),” he said, in response to a question about ties with Tel Aviv and Cairo.Read more:Turkey is a ‘great natural partner,’ says UAE ministerUAE establishes $10 bln fund to support investments in TurkeyTurkey, UAE to sign accords on energy, technology at talks: OfficialsUAE's renewed diplomacy with Syria could lead to more Arab overtures
Source: Al Arabiya
Full Article: Erdogan says also plans steps with Egypt, Israel after UAE visit

Arab Coalition carries out 15 strikes against Iran-backed Houthi militia

The Arab Coalition on Monday said it carried out 15 attacks against the Iran-backed Houthi militia in Yemen’s Marib and al-Jawf in the past 24 hours.For the latest headlines, follow our Google News channel online or via the app.“The targeting in Marib and al-Jawf destroyed 12 vehicles and led to the deaths of more than 85 [militia] members,” the coalition said in a statement.The Arab Coalition fighting in Yemen said on Sunday it had launched air strikes on “legitimate” military targets in the Yemeni capital, Sanaa, as “an immediate response” to the threat and the launch of drones from Sanaa airport.Specifically, the Arab Coalition confirmed it had destroyed underground ballistic missile launchers connected to Sanaa airport as well as targeted facilities used for the assembling of explosive drones at the Al-Dailami air base.Read more:Arab Coalition carries out strikes in Yemeni capital SanaaSaudi Arabia’s KSrelief projects help those displaced in Marib: Yemeni ministerArab Coalition releases details on latest air strike on Yemen Houthi military camps
Source: Al Arabiya
Full Article: Arab Coalition carries out 15 strikes against Iran-backed Houthi militia

Iran nuclear deal talks resume in Vienna amid muted hopes

Negotiators in Vienna resumed talks Monday over reviving Iran's 2015 nuclear deal with world powers, with hopes of quick progress muted after the arrival of a hard-line new government in Tehran led to a more than five-month hiatus.The remaining signatories to the nuclear deal formally known as the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action — Iran, Russia, China, France, Germany and Britain — convened at the Palais Coburg, the luxury hotel where the agreement was signed six years ago.For the latest headlines, follow our Google News channel online or via the app.The talks came as Austria is a week into a lockdown imposed because of a surge of coronavirus cases. Iran's state-run IRNA news agency reported their start, without elaborating, as journalists remained outside of the hotel.The last round of talks, aimed at bringing Iran back into compliance with the agreement and paving the way for the US to rejoin, was held in June. Since then, the task has only become more difficult.The US is not at the table because it unilaterally pulled out of the deal in 2018 under then-President Donald Trump, who restored and augmented American sanctions in a campaign of “maximum pressure” to try to force Iran into renegotiating the pact.President Joe Biden has signaled that he wants to rejoin the deal. A US delegation headed by the administration’s special envoy for Iran, Robert Malley, is participating indirectly in the talks, with diplomats from the other countries acting as go-betweens.The nuclear deal saw Iran limit its enrichment of uranium in exchange for the lifting of economic sanctions. Since the deal's collapse, Iran now enriches small amounts of uranium up to 60 percent purity — a short step from weapons-grade levels of 90 percent. Iran also spins advanced centrifuges barred by the accord and its uranium stockpile now far exceeds the accord’s limits.Iran maintains its atomic program is peaceful. However, US intelligence agencies and international inspectors say Iran had an organized nuclear weapons program up until 2003. Nonproliferation experts fear the brinkmanship could push Tehran toward even more-extreme measures to try and force the West to lift sanctions.Making matters more difficult, United Nations nuclear inspectors remain unable to fully monitor Iran's program after Tehran limited their access. A trip to Iran last week by the head of the International Atomic Energy Agency, Rafael Grossi, failed to make any progress on that issue.Read more:Iran will not hold talks with US in Vienna over nuclear deal: Iran foreign ministryWest must ‘pay price’ to revive nuclear deal: Iran chief negotiatorNuclear talks resume as West asks whether Iran is serious or stallingAs nuclear talks resume, Israel PM says worried US is readying to lift Iran sanctions
Source: Al Arabiya
Full Article: Iran nuclear deal talks resume in Vienna amid muted hopes

Jack Dorsey steps down as Twitter CEO

Twitter announced Monday that co-founder Jack Dorsey was stepping down immediately as CEO, with the company's chief technical officer Parag Agrawal replacing him."Twitter, Inc. today announced that Jack Dorsey has decided to step down as chief executive officer and that the Board of Directors has unanimously appointed Parag Agrawal as CEO and a member of the board, effective immediately," the company said in a statement.For the latest headlines, follow our Google News channel online or via the app.Twitter’s stock, which has consistently underperformed the market, jumped more than 10 percent at the opening bell Monday.CNBC first reported that Dorsey may step down soon, citing anonymous sources.Twitter Inc. did not immediately respond to a request for comment from The Associated Press early Monday.Dorsey is also the top executive at Square, a financial payments company that he founded, and some big investors have openly questioned whether he can be effective leading both.Read more:Jack Dorsey Square unveils record $29 bln deal to buy Australia’s AfterpayTwitter sees jump in government demands to remove content of reporters, news outletsTwitter CEO Jack Dorsey sells first-ever Tweet for $2.9mln
Source: Al Arabiya
Full Article: Jack Dorsey steps down as Twitter CEO