June 7, 2020 Meet the Middle East

Coronavirus: UAE schools to restart August 30, says minister

The UAE’s academic year will restart on August 30, according to a statement by the country’s Minister of Education Hussain ibn Ibrahim al-Hammadi reported by the official Emirates News Agency (WAM).Schools in the country closed in early March under measures aimed at slowing the spread of the coronavirus pandemic, which has killed over 275 people in the UAE. After a several week break for Easter, education authorities implemented a distance learning system in which students make use of online resources to study from home.For all the latest headlines follow our Google News channel online or via the app“Education remains a top priority and national objective, and therefore our leadership has directed to apply the distance education system under the current circumstances so that our students won’t lose track and miss one single day from their academic year,” said the minister, according to WAM.Read more: UAE students, teachers try to adapt to distance learning from homeTeachers and school administrative staff will begin working on August 23, a week before students begin their year.Al-Hammadi added that the success of the distance learning program was due to UAE leaders’ “forward-thinking policy” and the commitment of students and parents, reported WAM.Read more: Coronavirus: UAE sets post-Ramadan distance learning hours as online classes resumeFor more coronavirus news, visit our dedicated page.Distance learning could be new normGlobally, other countries are weighing up whether to reopen schools as lockdowns ease.In neighboring Saudi Arabia, Minister of Education Dr. Hamad bin Mohammed Al Al-Sheikh said previously that the Kingdom was considering distance learning as a strategic choice beyond coronavirus.“Electronic learning after the coronavirus crisis will not be the same as it was before especially with the accelerated global trend towards e-learning and its technologies as a future option, and not just an alternative during exceptional circumstances,” Al Al-Sheikh was quoted as saying by the Saudi Press Agency in April.Read more:Coronavirus: UAE reports 540 new cases, one new death, after 44,000 testsCoronavirus: Saudi Arabia now has over 100,000 COVID-19 casesEmirates, Etihad to extend staff salary cuts into September amid coronavirus pandemic
Source: Al Arabiya
Full Article: Coronavirus: UAE schools to restart August 30, says minister